20Pr Mk/1 RLB case

Hello
I’m a newbie, and have acquired a brass shell case.
It is 47cm long, with markings 20 PR Mk/1 LOT 1 RLB 1954 F on the base.
There’s also a D and an arrow
Would anyone be able to tell me any info/history on this casing?
Many thanks in advance
CB

it also says Mk2 RML54 and CYI/55 on the central disc (firing pin?)
Many thanks in advance
CB

Welcome here cleybirder.

This is a 20pdr case for the British tank gun of the Centurion tank. Made in 1954 by Royal Laboratories Birtley if I remember it correctly.
The “central disc” is the propellant primer made in 1955.

Does your case look like this one here in the link?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordnance_QF_20_pounder

If not it likely was shortened after it’s service life.

Are there any ink markings on the side of the case?

Many thanks indeed for this

Yes, that is it. But my case is just the cylindrical lower part, and polished …
I guess it has been used as a decorative item, say a 'brolly stand.

There appears to be something like PCBC in ink on the base, but that’s about it.
Is that meaningful?

It may not be of much armoury interest, but its a hefty chunk of brass which looks just fine standing in the corner of the room
Really, I’d like to make a sculptural ‘group’ of such cases … is there a trading site that you happen to know of, where I might get a couple more…?

Again many thanks in advance!
CB

A lot of 105mm ammo for Australia was also made in UK, with CY markings on Fuzes…CY is in Wales (Cymru)…Where? ( I have a couple of the Brown steel Ammo chests (two cardboard tubes, with two complete Case + Shell in them).

D ^ ???Dept.of Defence Australia? ( should be “D^D”) We also used Centurions with 20 pdr guns, later “Up Gunned” to US 105mm Shells by time of Vietnam ( 1st Armoured Regiment , and 2nd Cavalry Regt).

Doc AV

The D and the arrow (a bisected two-sided triangle) are well divorced from each other.
So I suspect UK origin
… the Wales connection is interesting; it is a sort of long-lost family 'heirloom’
and there is strong Welsh ancestry involved …

Great to hear so much expert comment!
Many thanks again

Cleybirder, there are many auction sites and dealers in the web which someone else here may point out to you as I am located in Germany and hardly can give you any advise on that.

The legible markings you mentiond now should have read “APCBC”, the British abbreviation for “Armour Piercing / Capped, Ballistic Capped”.
Here the projectile (one of the modifications):

And here a general overvierw on the various rounds in this caliber:

I should have mentioned that the metric caliber of this round is 84mm.
Just to make it more graphic, here a colored sheet of the round in question - from a Danish manual (British made ammunition of course):

[quote=“DocAV”]A lot of 105mm ammo for Australia was also made in UK, with CY markings on Fuzes…CY is in Wales (Cymru)…Where? ( I have a couple of the Brown steel Ammo chests (two cardboard tubes, with two complete Case + Shell in them).

D ^ ???Dept.of Defence Australia? ( should be “D^D”) We also used Centurions with 20 pdr guns, later “Up Gunned” to US 105mm Shells by time of Vietnam ( 1st Armoured Regiment , and 2nd Cavalry Regt).

Doc AV[/quote]

You are getting your languages mixed up Doc!

“CY” was the monogram of the Royal Ordnance Factory at Chorley in Lancashire (now closed) and no connection with the Welsh language “Cymru” for Wales.

Cheers
TonyE

Oh well, Welsh is a mellifluous but un-pronounceable and un-intelligible language to us Colonials and Migrants…

Doc AV