20x102 mk. 149 mod 0 / mod 2 DU core

Does anyone have any photos or measurements of the Depleted Uranium core from the plastic sabot projectiles in the mk149 mod 0 or mod 2 20mm loads used in the CIWS gun? I was wondering how one can tell the difference between a DU core or the tungsten core of the mod 4, either by weight, color, or measurement. Does anyone know what the geiger counter reading would be? In Keith Lampear’s display from SLICS 2009, he showed a 25mm or 30mm shell with a reading of 1.82 millirads per hr, and I don’t know if that is typical for undisturbed / unfired D.U. or not?

hello
i’m interessed by a picture of this penetrator (mk149 2)
i have a complete round of 20mm mk149 2 with orange sabot (but i wouldn’t disassemble this due to nature of this round ,and is my unique DU round)
the core is similar in shape and weight a the mk149 4 ?
i have a cutaway of 20mm mk149 4 but i don’t know if the core is similar

I have a core coming to me in the next 10 days, and when I receive it I can post a photo with measurements to see if it is identical or similar to the mk 4 penetrator. I’m not 100% certain if the core I am receiving is D.U. or Tungsten, and I hope to determine this somehow.

The density values I saw in the literature overlap considerably, because Uranium as well as Tungsten can be alloyed.
A Geiger counter should be the simplest method. Most diffcult part will be to find a university lab, nuclear power plant or similar institution that has one and does not get hysterical in the presence of piece of uranium, thoroughly depleted or not.

on a show in tv i can see penetrator of 30x173 PGU 14 and he is dark grey (not the picture on wikipedia)
but i don’t know if the 20mm mk149 0 or 2 had the same color

on this picture the bottom of the penetrator should be dark grey (if is mk149 2 firing)

[quote=“JPeelen”]The density values I saw in the literature overlap considerably, because Uranium as well as Tungsten can be alloyed.
A Geiger counter should be the simplest method. Most diffcult part will be to find a university lab, nuclear power plant or similar institution that has one and does not get hysterical in the presence of piece of uranium, thoroughly depleted or not.[/quote]
One of my colleagues in track coaching is a chemistry teacher at a high school, or I might try the University of Maine if that fails. Mentioning ordnance-grade “depleted uranium” to certain college types whom I don’t know could prove interesting/frustrating.