20x110 HS 404 Truvelo sniper/AMR rifle for US Forces

According to information given by Truvelo on the EUROSATORY in 2008 the company developed the weapon mentioned above for US forces. The ammo used during the development was delivered by the US and was of RECENT production.

Who knows details about the ammunition (types existing, manufacturer etc.) and who is using this weapon?

NSWC-Crane had a sources-sought notice in February 2005 for an AMR chambered in 20x102mm. This was then dropped the next month for an AMR chambered in 20x110mm HS404. A new notice was posted May 2006. They indicated that they would provide test quantities of M99 or M204 TP rounds. In April 2007, they solicited samples from Truvelo and Denel. A couple of contracts were also let sometime with a pair of US companies, Anzio Iron Works and Serbu, although I can’t confirm the chambering for these purchases.

I found this on the “Defense News” web site.

"S. African Sniper Rifle Large, Accurate but Costly
By matthew cox
Published: 16 Jun 10:47 EDT (14:47 GMT) Print | Email

PARIS - Sniper rifles just keep getting bigger these days.

Truvelo Manufacturers of South Africa unveiled its newest precision rifle, the Truvelo 20, at the Eurosatory trade show June 16. The massive, bolt-action rifle can fire a 20mm x 110mm explosive round out to 2,000 meters, said Charl Meiring, chief technical manager for Truvelo.

Related TopicsEurope
Americas
Land Warfare
Large-caliber sniper weapons are commonplace on today’s battlefield. The U.S. military has been using .50-caliber sniper rifles to destroy anti-material targets such as light-skinned vehicles since Operation Desert Storm in 1991.

But what sets the Truvelo 20 apart, aside from its larger caliber, is that it’s three times more accurate than the U.S. military’s .50-caliber rifles currently in use in Iraq and Afghanistan, Meiring said.

“It can be used in both - anti-personnel and anti-material,” at ranges of 1,500 meters to 2,000 meters Meiring said.

Truvelo completed testing on the weapon in March after embarking on the effort two years ago.

The market for these ultra-long-range rifles is only going to grow since both the Marine Corps and the Army announced in May that both services want a new sniper rifle, capable of killing man-sized targets between 1,500 and 1,800 meters.

One drawback to the Truvelo 20, however, is weight: 55 pounds, compared with the 30-pound U.S. military’s .50-caliber sniper rifles.

The Marine Corps-led, long-range sniper rifle program is looking for a weapon that would be comparable in weight to the Marines’ 15-pound M40 series sniper rifle.

Another downside is that the Truvelo 20 doesn’t come cheap. These custom rifles cost about $36,000 each, Truvelo officials said."

Glenn

Daniel and Glenn, thanks a lot for the info.

The Denel folks did not mention anything about a US relation to their 20x110 rifle and they were desperately looking for ammunition suppliers - to my surprise since the Serbians were offering it on the same event. And by accident Denel actually used Yugoslav ammo (war capture from Angola in the 1980’s) during the development process of their 20x110 rifle (in their product sheets it is even shown with Yugoslav ammo). So I wonder if Denel’s development was a result of a US tender or the like since then Denel would have gotten the same ammo as Truvelo for testing etc…
Any thoughts?

Now we just need some info on what ammunition is eventually being made in the US today since we can assume that the old models are only used for testing and development and even these should be rather “fresh” since over aged ammo would have not been recommendable in a weapon development process.
I would expect that there should be a state of the art AP (APFSDS) and/or API projectile, a special sniper round and a HE and/or HEI.

I had a look at that beast at Eurosatory - here’s a couple of photos from my web report on the show: quarry.nildram.co.uk/Eurosat08.htm

I’m not aware of any recent production of 20x110 HS in the USA (though I’d be interested to hear about it if anyone knows any different). The last use of this calibre in US service that I know of was by the US Coastguard, who used a modified Hispano cannon as a deck gun (designated Mk 16). This was certainly in use well into the 1980s, but I don’t have an out-of-service date (does anyone?). So the ammo mentioned in the article linked to above may well have come from surplus stocks still held.

20x110 HS ammo was still being offered (last I heard) by firms in Argentina, Egypt, Italy, Norway, Romania, Serbia and Spain.

P.S. They’d better be careful about claiming that it is intended to shoot HE shells at people - that’s still illegal! Anyway, a 20mm gun would be a bad choice if all they wanted was a sniper rifle: there are lots of better weapons arouund (see: quarry.nildram.co.uk/Long%20 … niping.htm)

Tony, about the HE I thought of in the AMR role. For regular sniping a TP or APFSDS would do I think.

Here are the links to the Anzio Ironworks 20x102mm rifles.

http://www.anzioironworks.com/MAG-FED-20MM-RIFLE.htm
http://www.anzioironworks.com/20MM-TAKE-DOWN-RIFLE.htm

There was an excellent briefing on the US 20mm AMR program given at the 2009 NDIA Small Arms Conference.

“20mm AMR – New Use for Unused Ammo”

The briefing has quite a bit of juicy data on other weapon systems as well, such as free recoil and casualty radii.

FYI: The presenter, David Armstrong, holds the patents for the M14 EBR Chassis Stock and the M4 SOPMOD Stock.

Daniel, excellent info! Thanks for finding and sharing it.

I just wonder about the head line “New Use for Unused Ammo”. The 20x110 HS 404 TP and AP rounds shown on page 13 look like very recent production (style of markings), so there is certainly nothing “unused” as the head line implies. Besides that I would wonder if cartridges with expired shelf life would be used for precision rifles and sniping. (I mean those stocks from the time when the cartridge was still used in aircraft guns what was at least 20+ years ago).

The Navy still has 20mm HS ammo in inventory from the 70’s & 80’s. The focus of the title is that a 20mm HSR of the appropriate caliber would have an existing stockpile of ammo, saving the cost of developing new ammo or ammo of a different 20mm caliber, such as the Vulcan. There is no other US military application for the HS caliber any longer.

Yes, the USN and USCG used the 20x110mm Mk 16 in deck mountings prior to the development of the Mk 38 system for the 25x137mm M242 Bushmaster. The Mk 16 had reportedly been recycled from former aircraft armament.