20x110 Oerlikon ID please

Hello,

I have a recently acquired Oerlikon round that I can’t figure our the manufacturer of. I couldn’t find anything for M.P. or A.L. Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Darren

1 Like

Metallic Products Corp., Closter, NJ.

Michel

1 Like

Thanks Michel. Do you know what the A.L. indicates?

MP” = Motor Products Corp. in Detroit, Michigan not Metallic Products Corp., Closter, N.J. The New Jersey company was reported incorrectly in an older publication.

1 Like

Mayhem
You maybe having a more desirible cartridge than you tthink,I just noticed the Anker in the Head stamp
The dilemma here is that only recently I read about this ankered stamp but cannot remember where
they do not seem to be to common.Lets hope someone out there chimes in on the subject and does
not suffer from dementia as I do
Sherryl

Sherryl, the anchor is a usual observation on US Navy ammo. Just that 20mm was the smallest caliber where it was applied to.

EOD
Not in this case i remember distinctly and made a mental note of it on those Oerlikons on some
that anker was special but at the moment I suffer total dementia where I had that info from
if I find it you will know
Sherryl

Sherryl, I am not sure why it should be different on exaxctly this one.

Here some more samples to view - all navy ammo.

Source: internet.

20x110RR

40x311R

127mm / 5-inch

Every MP one I have has the anchor. These were made for the USN.

This is what I tried to say.

1 Like

What about the A.L.? Jack

I believe AL refers to the type of gun these were made for… In 1930 Oerlikon reconsidered the application of its gun in aircraft and introduced the “AF” and “AL” , designed to be used in flexible mounts that had to be manually aimed by a gunner. The 15-round box magazine used by earlier versions of the gun was replaced by drum magazine holding 15 or 30 rounds.

3 Likes

Cartridgecorner: Thanks. So then A.L. is a subtype of the basic Oerlikon design? Jack