20x110mm Hispano by Proctor Electric

Sorry for rust on this lacquered 20x110mm Hispano h/s PE 54. Who made it?

This 2nd headstamp scan is done after washing with warm soapy water and applying a bit of regular household oil to “heal” the rust, it removed some of the white markings, it was a good idea to scan before cleaning.

• @ sksvlad: This 20X110 rimless Hispano steel shell case has an electric primer and was made here in USA in 1954. The shell case maker’s mark “PE” stands for “Proctor Electric Co.” probably from Philadelphia [PA] which made only 20X110 Hispano steel shell cases between 1953-1955. The same company had manufactured 20X110 Hispano shell cases made of steel only in 1942 using as a maker’s mark “PROCTOR”. => Those extra markings [white or black ink] are hard to be found today after so many decades and it’s always good to be saved. Liviu 01/26/09

Thanks, Liviu. Proctor Electric was a father of Proctor-Silex Co., the toaster maker. In 1920, the Philadelphia Textile Machinery Company, founded in 1885, formed Proctor & Schwartz, Inc. Seeking new thermostat technology, Proctor & Schwartz, Inc. formed Proctor & Schwartz Electric Company. In about 1960, Proctor & Schwartz Electric became interested in the Silex Company, a manufacturer of coffeemakers and irons.

This cartridge was used in the M24 aircraft gun. One of the most interesting applications was in the four ever made ACH-47A Gunships which saw service in Vietnam.

tri.army.mil/LC/CS/csa/m24a1.jpg
tri.army.mil/LC/CS/csa/ach47arm.gif

Alex, I hope you don’t mind, I insert an actual photo for people like myself who know “nada” about helicopters

Vlad, I will never mind because I JUST LOVE THE ACH-47A !!! It is one of my absolute favourites and the four built aircrafts have a remarkable history. Saldy one of them got lost in combat because while firing the M24 gun ripped loose from it’s front mount, swung up and shot the rotor blades. Only one aircraft survived (just the cell) and was used as a training aid for paratroopers or so and luckily got discovered and restored (a bit too well in my opinion since the applied glossy laquer etc. made a parade horse of it - compare images in the link below).
There is very a good website on the whole story which was run by former crew members, friends and enthusiasts:
chinook-helicopter.com/chino … agogo.html
Extremely interesting and really worth reading.