20x138B Finn with "20/40 T 41 3 two crossed arrows" h/s

I am on my way to SLICS with a stopover at Columbus,OH gun show. I got a lot of strange (to me) ammo, which most of you probably consider ordinary. I did not bring calipers so don’t know actual measurements. One $20 wonder (which caught my eye) is a relatively large unfired round with a headstamp: 20/40 T 41 3(next to 2 crossed arrows through a circle). It is of shinny brass with a nice blue projectile with a white rim between cartridge and projectile. I got it because it was shiny, my feminine half talking. So, what did I buy? I’ll post scans next week if I survive SLICS.

Vlad
If you don’t get it identified first, I’ll have my calipers at SLICS.

Vlad,

This is a guess (Tailgunner’s calipers are a good idea!) but maybe a 20mm Lahti? Don’t know if they come in a “shiny” loading, though…

Hitting gunshows on the way to SLICS. Man, you’ve got me beat! Enjoy and maybe you can raise a toast in memory of the home-bound and envious.

Dave

Dave, don’t envy me too much, I had to spend 4 hours at Columbus Zoo and sit at Alladin Shriners Circus in exchange for 2 hours at a gun show.

For a picture of the 20x138mm Lahti AP-T see:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=162&hilit=20mm+Lahti

Phil,

I think you nailed it! I was thinking of the 20x113(?) because of the “T” but that 20x138B’s headstamp sure seems to fit the bill for Vlad’s shiny mystery…

Dave

In artillery designation, the number after the “/” means the barrel lenght in calibers. For instance there is the 40/70 Bofors, the 20/120 Oerlikon 5TG, and so on.

Does the 20/40 designator mean that the gun this round was intended for had a 40-caliber barrel lenght? That would be 20 x 40 mm, that is 800 mm = 80 cm = 31,5 inches. It seems a little short for a 20 mm gun.

Schneider, I’d go for the year of adoption.

The “/” designation is not much used within the military if I remember right. The usually write “L70” or the like.

20/40 = 20mm case model 40
T = Tikkakoski
41 = 1941

In Spain and in Italy, if I remember well, the system Caliber/Tube lenght is still used.

Here’s a list of Spanish artillery calibers from the '80s, taken from an official manual.