20x138mmB – Projectile identification wanted

20x138mmB – Projectile identification wanted.

I was shown this cartridge by a man who was a little concerned that the projectile may be live and dangerous. The cartridge contains no powder charge and was found in a stream so the water has attacked the outside of the projectile and some parts of the headstamp. I was able to photograph the headstamp and the base of the projectile

The case is lacquered steel with the headstamp: 748 va (or vd) WauA156, 44 and with a brass primer. The h/s is a little difficult to read due to spots of corrosion on the markings so there may be errors in my interpretation.

The projectile is pointed steel with a base plug or fuze. The part of the projectile that was covered by the case neck is not corroded at all. The fuze/plug is stamped: BdZ 15/3 wa 145 42.

Can anyone provide any information about this cartridge please.

gravelbelly

Dave, projectile and case do not belong together.

If the base plug/fuze is original to the projectile it sould be one for the MG151/20 or MG FF (both used the same projectiles).

The projectile is an API (WP) or an APHE. The markings on the base plug imply a fuze as it was used with APHE projectiles BUT fuze bodies which did not pass QA were reworked into simple plugs for API projectiles which had an aluminum WP capsule inside. These were not marked separately nor were the original fuze marks made illegible or removed.

If paint on the projectile would be still present it would be marked with a blue band on the ogive for the API and with a yellow one for APHE. If the color markings are gone there is no way to tell both projectiles apart visually.

The base plug/fuze has a left hand thread.

[quote=“EOD”]Dave, projectile and case do not belong together.

If the base plug/fuze is original to the projectile it should be one for the MG151/20 or MG FF (both used the same projectiles).

The projectile is an API (WP) or an APHE. The markings on the base plug imply a fuze as it was used with APHE projectiles BUT fuze bodies which did not pass QA were reworked into simple plugs for API projectiles which had an aluminum WP capsule inside. These were not marked separately nor were the original fuze marks made illegible or removed.

If paint on the projectile would be still present it would be marked with a blue band on the ogive for the API and with a yellow one for APHE. If the color markings are gone there is no way to tell both projectiles apart visually.

The base plug/fuze has a left hand thread.[/quote]

Thanks for that information, it seems that the owner of this cartridge was wise to ask if it could be live and dangerous. I will ask to have another look at it and look for paint traces. Is WP white phosphorous?

I did take more photos on the day but they are not clearly focussed so I didn’t post them.

gravelbelly

Yes, WP = white phosphorous