20x139 short range

Looks like 22 blanks with acorn headstamps. Plastic nose cone just pulls off.

Yes, that is a German 20 x 139mm HS820 TP, Short Range cartridge.

I believe the concept is if the fired projectile hits a hard target the plastic windshield (if it has not already come off during flight) is crushed and as the projectile base with the blank rounds smacks the target, one or more of the blanks should fire emitting a flash/puff of smoke. Thus providing visible evidence that the target was hit.

If someone else has better info, please let us know!

Brian

What is the object on the left in the first photo ???

Glenn

[quote=“Stonewall”]What is the object on the left in the first photo ???

Glenn[/quote]

81mm mortar m1 trainer projectile.

[quote=“bdgreen”]Yes, that is a German 20 x 139mm HS820 TP, Short Range cartridge.

I believe the concept is if the fired projectile hits a hard target the plastic windshield (if it has not already come off during flight) is crushed and as the projectile base with the blank rounds smacks the target one or more of the blanks should fire emitting a flash/puff of smoke. Thus providing visible evidence that the target was hit.

If someone else has better info, please let us know!

Brian[/quote]

Correct, tha cap conmes off as the projectile body has a central hole which makes up for the reduced range and causes the cap to be blown off by the gas pressure.

EOD,

Thanks for the additional information.

What does the black ring around the lower portion of the projectile mean?

I have seen similar 20x139mm short range cartridges with projectiles that have 2 black bands or a single red band around the projectile.

Brian

Here is a detail of the projectile design:

1: Projectile body
2: Plastic ogive
9: Cover cap
11: Cartridge housing
12: Signal charge (smoke-generating and/or fiash-producing pyrotechnic composition)
13: Blank cartridge (igniter)

[quote=“bdgreen”]EOD,

Thanks for the additional information.

What does the black ring around the lower portion of the projectile mean?

I have seen similar 20x139mm short range cartridges with projectiles that have 2 black bands or a single red band around the projectile.

Brian[/quote]

Brian, all these were experimental so the meaning of color markings is up to the fantasy of the people who made and tested these.

[quote=“Fede”]Here is a detail of the projectile design:

1: Projectile body
2: Plastic ogive
9: Cover cap
11: Cartridge housing
12: Signal charge (smoke-generating and/or fiash-producing pyrotechnic composition)
13: Blank cartridge (igniter)

[/quote]

So #9 is a disc of some sort, #10 is hollow space, and the plastic cone has a pusher a pusher of some sort?

Would this cartridge be more valuable as a section, since it’s already been de-milled?