.22 - 30?

I have one rifle cartridge that has a 30-30 Super X headstamp.

The oal of the brass is 1.605"
It measures 1.210 to the shoulder.
It is then necked down to .240

and has a .224 hollow point bullet loaded, this is a live round.

I also have a single unloaded round, it is a 30-30 Rem-Umc headstamp,

oal is 2.034
it measures .920 to the first shoulder which reduces to a .342 diameter, then there is a second very small shoulder which further reduces the case to .330,
the case length is .320 between shoulders and the remainder is .700 from the last shoulder

Has anyone ever encountered these wildcats? I suppose i should get a photo of them,…could help with the id of them,…Thanks

Oh,…new member here,…i am and have already learned alot,…great forum!

Please post photo’s that will really help to ID them.

Zmax
There are several obsolete 22 rounds that can be made from the 30-30Win case, so what you have may not be a wildcat at all, just a conversion of one case type to another (or a wildcat based on one of them).
The 2nd case may be simply a case that’s in the middle of being reformed into a different round. I have several cases in my collection that are partway through a conversion process.

Just a couple of things to consider

Thank you for the fast responses guys,…I will get the photos. I really appreciate your help.

Here are a couple of photos, I have a factory 30-30 cartridge for comparison,…Thanks again, I really appreciate your help.

The empty one is a partially formed case

Compare your bulletless case to 218 Bee / 218 Bee Improved specs (up to the second shoulder/case mouth)
Your bulleted may be a rimmed version of the 22 Lindahl Chucker (starts with a 25Rem case for the “normal” version), or a variant on the Donaldson Wasp family

zmax

The loaded cartridge is a 22 Lindahl Chucker, Rimmed. It was a popular 22 wildcat cartridge in the pre and post WW II era. There was also the rimless version made from 25 Remington brass. Lindahl also made 2 larger versions, the 22 Lindahl Super Chucker, both rimmed and rimless. That’s a very good cartridge to have in a wildcat collection.

The empty case is, as Tailgunner and Pivi said, one that is being re-formed into another shape. It appears as though it has only gone thru the first step which is pushing the shoulder back. Until it is finished and fire-formed it would only be a SWAG to say what it might become.

Ray

Thanks guys,…

Where would I find a good source for the value of this cartidge?

the 225 win was a .224 bullet in a 30-30 case.

Yes, thank you, but the case length was/is longer, by about .300

I was using this chart, however it is incomplete,

reloadbench.com/cartspec.html

zmax

Ahh, if only it was that easy. Most of us hesitate or refuse to do values for good reason. Simply put, we don’t know.

I have a fair collection of the old wildcats from the golden age of wildcatting, including a few that most collectors have never seen. I would not even venture a SWAG as to their value. To me they are priceless but to a 7.62x39 collector they are junk. I have seen wildcat cartridges sell for close to $100 each on some of the auction sites. Cartridges that I have several of. Does that mean that I have a bunch of $100 cartridges sitting in a cigar box? I don’t think so.

As I said, the 22 Lindahl Chucker Rimmed is a good wildcat cartridge, one that most collectors do not have. The guy who just has to have one may offer you more than it’s really worth. Only you can decide if you’ll take his offer. (It’s one of those that I mentioned about having several, BTW)

Ray

I should have added - the Chucker and most other wildcats based on the rimmed case were made from other parent cases as well. You’ll find them made from 25-35 Winchester, 22 Savage Hi Power, and 219 Zipper. The Zipper was especially favored because of the good brass. It was the basis for the 219 Donaldson Wasp (hence the name).

For the rimless, because of the odd head size, they were pretty much restricted to the 25, 30, and 32 Remington.

Shooters back then didn’t have access to all the new brass that we enjoy today and they used whatever they could find.

Ray

I realize how prices or values can be,…basically, if it was worth a couple bucks, i might not take care for it like i should,…then again, if it might be worth $100,…I will take much better care of it, :)

Z-Max
Every cartridge I have is priceless, and the ones that people have given me out of the goodness of their heart are the most valuable ones.
IOW it’s not the monitary value as much as it is the pleasure it brings you (I get a lot of entertainment watching guys look at the variaty of cartridges I have)

We all have our passions, thats for sure,… bow hunting for mature Whitetails and shed hunting is mine.