.22 Cal Collectors Package question

I have a package which I received as part of a promotion years back. It is a tin (steel?) box of 200 Remington Peters .22 Long Rifle bullets, and a deck of RP laying Cards. It is boxed as a .22 cartridges and playing card gift set. The shrink-wrap is still on the box. I am looking for any idea how much it is worth, or where I can find out? I am not looking to sell it. Thanks, Dennis

You might want to keep an eye on the various auction sites for identical items to establish the worth.

I think there were several variations of these promotional packages with playing cards. As they are not very old, I’d GUESS between 10-20 dollars

Remington made a lot of these “combined merchandise kits” aside from other fancy tins of just .22 ammunition alone. I don’t collect them, but have a few I have accumulated over the years. Some cost more than 20.00 new, and if minty, I would think would bring more than that now, just from the value of the contents.

I will have my partner, Joe Jones, post a couple of scans of a few from my own accumulation. They are the kits. I have some other Winchester and Remington fancy containers of just .22 ammo, as well as a deck of Winchester Playing Cards they gave out at some trade show or other promotional activity.

I think one could probably have made a pretty sizeable collection of this stuff over the years if he had gone after this stuff as a major collection.

Remington “Gift Packs.” Top: .22 Ammunition with small, good quality flashlight. Bttom: .22 Ammunition with small Remington Pocket knife. We would guess that since the knives themselves are collectable, that the package with the knife would have more value than that with the flashlight, but again, it is just a guess. We don’t collect these things and have no real idea of current value, as it is not a consideration for us. We just think they look nice around the gun room.

Remington “22 Ammunition & Playing Card Givt Set.” We think this is from 1998, but are not sure.

John Moss “Accumulation”

[quote=“Jones”]

Remington “Gift Packs.” Top: .22 Ammunition with small, good quality flashlight. Bttom: .22 Ammunition with small Remington Pocket knife. We would guess that since the knives themselves are collectable, that the package with the knife would have more value than that with the flashlight, but again, it is just a guess. We don’t collect these things and have no real idea of current value, as it is not a consideration for us. We just think they look nice around the gun room.

Remington “22 Ammunition & Playing Card Givt Set.” We think this is from 1998, but are not sure.

John Moss “Accumulation”[/quote]

Hi John:

The “Remington 22 Ammunition and Playing Card Gift Set” is almost identical to what I have except that yours has the small round sticker which says “Perfect gift for a straight shooter.” I know I have had this in my possession for at least 20 years, probably closer to 25. But I would imagine that Remington has been offering these, off and on, for decades. Thanks to all the the responses.

Glad to help. My reflection on the date of that item was made from a cryptic code number on the package, and my estimate of when it was made can be wrong. I don’t honestly recall Remington duplicating these gift packs from year to year, but I could be wrong on that, too. While we generally carried the Remington and Winchester merchandise of this type, it has been a lot of years, and my memory is surely not totally clear on the subject.

I do have a general question, and this is not to be critical of any contributor to this forum. Is it really necessary to repeat pictures on the Forum just to make a reply? I don’t even know how that is accomplished. When I reply to something, it never shows, with my answer, any of the previous entries on the thread. It seems to me this takes up a lot of extra space on the Forum for no particular purpose.

As much curiosity on my part as any other thing.

John–Glad you aid something about the duplication of pictures. If you had not I was going to. By the way John, it is easy to do. Just click on “Quote” at the top of every reply.

dmyhand1957– I realize you are new to the Forum, so I won’t complain too much about the unnecessary use of “Quote”, but please read my recent ADMIN. post about posting. Click on the link below:

iaaforum.org/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=4655

John Moss and Ron Merchant,

It is also possible to click the quote and then carefully delete the Image links to leave the text. You can also strip out any text that you don’t need before hitting the “Submit” button.
Then you must use Preview to see what you are posting.

gravelbelly

Wow John, I remember receiving one of those remington kits like the 1st in the pictures that came with the knife. I think it was about 20 years ago. I still have that knife but the ammo all went downrange.

Paul - I actually bought mine to use the ammunition in my Enfield No. 2 Mk I (Lithgow), and have the knife for a pocket knife. I don’t recall now why I ended up never opening it. I have some more of the Remington and Winchester displays, but no where near all of them. I was being honest when I said I don’t collect them, but rather simply accumulated them. Heck, I have a couple of Remington Knives other than thatone that are still in the boxes, and even some little die-cast metal toy trucks with ammo makers names on them. Once a guy has got the collector’s bug, I guess it is hard to resist stuff. I collect firearms industry paraphenalia, or did when I worked in the field. My criteria was that it had to be free. I have a couple of dresser drawers full of brassards, ballpoint pens with company names on them, pins, belt buckles, etc. I even have a chocolate Walther PPK a customer brought me from Japan probably 40 years ago. I don’t think I will open it and eat it at this stage! It has a bullet pendent in the box, which I can’t tell if its brass or just chocolate wrapped in gold foil. Might be a “Schokolade Exerzierpatrone” )See guys, this rambling is cartridge related). I would post a scan of it but I would probably get lynched by not just the administrators, but the membership as well. The patches (brassards) that I like, of course, are the ammo company ones. If I had any wall room left where I am “allowed” (wife) to put any gun stuff on it, I would have them all framed and put it up, although it would take up a normal room’s entire wall, probably.

Fun stuff. Too bad no one in my family but me cares about it. At age 69, that becomes a concern. I think we collectors are all a little goofy, but heck, that’s what makes us all such nice guys! :) :) (I can’t believe I just made smiley faces - my first time I have ever done one of these goofy computer cartoon thingies). Is there any hope for me?