.22 CHeetah

Want to start by thanking you guys. I read this forum all the time and love all the cool oddball stuff you guys come across and can identify.
So here’s a oddball one for you. It’s a wildcat called the .22 CHeetah. Guy at work came across them and knows the stuff I’m into. It’s a 7.62x51 or .308 Winchester necked down to take .224 bullets. Used for shooting coyotes and other small varmints.

Ron, Thank you for listing.

Ron, I believe there were at least 2 versions of the CHeetah, dubbed Mark 1 (MK I) and Mark II (MK II). It appears that the difference was in the shoulder angle (40 and 28 degrees, respectively). The parent case was a .308BR, which had a small rifle primer pocket. So a standard .308 or 7.62x51 case with a large rifle primer is technically not a CHeetah when necked down. I think there were several other .22 wildcats bases on the .308 case, just not using the small rifle primer BR case.

The letters “CH” in CHeetah were the initials of the 2 developers: C = Jim Carmichel and H = Fred Huntington.

There are many different variations on almost the same round. The .243 necked to .224 is the .22-.243, then change the shoulder angle and its a .22 Middlestead, named after the guy who came up with that one.
So here’s a question for you guys. Here in America there is a long history of reloading and customizing to try to come up with the latest and greatest new cartridge, and there are many many wildcats and oddball one off cartridges and guns to go with them. So is there this type of experimenting and custom gun/cartridge work going on in other parts of the world?

Australians did a lot of work wildcatting the .303 inch.

A barrel maker here in Prescott AZ (Classic Barrels) once told me something like 26,000 chamber reamers are available.