.22 "Flat End" .22 LR & "Life Target" Gallery Cartridges

I just got the pages for the 1915-16 Remington-UMC Catalog. It lists a .22 cartridge I have never heard of before. It is called a “.22 “Life Target” Gallery”. A footnote on the page says

“Life Target” Gallery Cartridges are for use in connection with Motion Pictures only. Not for general use or for other target shooting.

Has anyone ever heard of these or seen a box for them? This is the only catalog they are listed in.

Also, new for 1914 is a “.22 Long Rifle, Flat End Bullet” Available in Lesmok only. Does anyone have the cartridge and/or box for this load? This was only listed in the 1914 Dealers P.L. and the 1915-16 catalog.

Could it be for those old police training things? The ones where they shot at the paper screen with the video projected onto it?

Falcon5nz–I doubt it. Remember, this was in 1915. The movie industry had barely begin. I doubt if they would have developed the system your talking about by that time. But, maybe they had.

Ron
Baring a better discription/photo, I’d have to guess that it (the “Life Target” Gallery") was some type of blank loading for use in movies.

Tailgunner–It is hard to read on the scan that I posted, but on the original Xerox, the “Life Target” Gallery is listed with a 29gr. bullet.

I think we have an answer to what the “Flat End” Lesmoke .22 L.R. round cataloged in the 1913-14 and 1915-16 catalogs is.

I am inclined to think that this “Gully” cartridge is the “Flat End Bullet” in the listing. The years are right for both the Patent Date and for the box shown. Plus the wording “flat across its forward end” in the patent description fits with the catalog description. It is cataloged as a “Lesmoke” cartridge, which again agrees with the box.

The following box was posted on AA for sale by Dick Fraser

Seller’s Description:
Here is a rare, probably experimental, loading of the Gully patent bullet by Remington. This auction is for one loaded round. On December 29, 1914 US patent number 1,122,738, “TARGET-BULLET”, was issued to Albert B. Gully of Bridgeport, Connecticut, assignor to Union Metallic Cartridge Company. Quoting from the patent, its object was for a “non-jacketed bullet especially adapted for short range target shooting…which, owing to special details of construction…will produce better targets than has been possible with any bullet heretofore produced, will not tear the target but will cut a round hole therein, will be self-centering in the bore of a gun barrel should it happen to be loose in the cartridge shell and will effectively clean the grooves of the bore and keep them clean.” The bullet “tip tapers slightly…is provided with a central recess or cavity having an inclined wall…[color=#FF0000]is flat across its forward end[/color]…the diameter at the forward end corresponds substantially with the diameter of the gun barrel…”. “Pressure must be applied to the rear end of the cartridge to force the tip of the bullet into the bore…to cause the lands of the bore to form corresponding grooves in the bullet.” “When the bullet is fired, the effect of the resistance of the air owing to the recess in the tip is to expand the tip outward so that still deeper grooves are formed in the bullet.”

Now if we could just identify exactly what the “Life Target Gallery” cartridges are!!

If its a hollow point flat bullet could “Life Target” be a mis-spelling of “Live Target”? ie a game load? although the gallery bit with the hollow point would point more towards being a load for circus type shooting galleries with a steel plate as the back stop. Similar to the Splatterproof type of later date, in concept if not design. The other thought is that they would be equally suited to both applications so maybe they mean Live target/gallery. Its an interesting one though, definitely an oddball. The footnote about the movie industry is intriguing. In those days they were all silent films. Could it be that when the good guy was hiding behind a rock and you saw the shots hitting the rock and throwing up dust they were shooting live ammo at it? I couldn’t imagine they would do that. Even in the days before studio pyrotechnics.

Vince–The Gully Flat End round and the “Life Target Gallery” are two different loads. The “Life Target” is a .22 Short with a 29gr. bullet. Here, as quoted in the opening post, is a verbatim quote from the 1915-16 Remington-UMC catalog:

[color=#FF0000]“Life Target” Gallery Cartridges are for use in connection with Motion Pictures only. Not for general use or for other target shooting."[/color]