22 Hornet

I have both necked and tapered 22 Hornet rounds. Not actually having a gun, I have problems understanding how both rounds can be fired from the same gun.

Good evening, Try a google search for 22 k-hornet. Hope this helps. Tom

Hi, Vlad…The one on the right appears to be the .22 Hornet as it comes from the factory…the other appears to be a wildcat and maybe Mr. Meketa or other wildcat expert can comment…Randy

As Tom C says, the necked round is a 22 K-Hornet, the “wildcatted” version of the 22 Hornet, giving more velocity and energy than the original round; although you can’t shoot K-Hornet rounds in a Hornet chamber, you CAN go the other way (and it gives you fireformed brass to boot).

Vlad

Since the Improved Hornet is a wildcat there are no standard dimensions and you can find any number of versions. The “K” or “Kilbourn Hornet” mentioned by Tom is but one of many and yours may or may not be a Kilbourn. Only with very precise measurements can you tell.

There’s not much that can be done to that tiny case so the variations will consist primarily in neck length. There are also several using a shortened case. Don’t be surprised at what you might find.

From the photo it appears that yours needs one more “fire-forming” to completely fill out the shoulder. But, it could be that the shooter or gunsmith intended it to be that way. As I said, don’t be surprised by anything.

As SDC said, you can usually fire a factory or unformed case in an improved chamber but not the opposite without first re-sizing the improved case back to it’s original dimensions. This is true of most wildcats.

Ray

Just got a box of Remington Kleanbore 22 Hornet 45 gr SP Hi-Speed with the following label attached to the box. Also, someone wrote “.22 Hornet Kay-Chuk 50 grain”. The rounds inside are loaded soft point with “Savage 22 Hornet” as a headstamp. I am a bit confused. What happened here?

Vlad

The 224 Harvey Kay-Chuck was a cartridge intended to be used in specially converted revolvers, especially the S&W K-22 Masterpiece. They were loaded by Jim Harvey of Lakeville Arms, I believe in the 1950s and 1960s, and possibly later. They should be a little shorter than the standard 22 Hornet rifle case from which they were made. Harvey offered 2 versions, the standard and an “Improved” version. (See my post above )

The cartridge could also be used in rifles if the shooter/owner desired.

A very good find for you Vlad. I wish I had that box (Hint).

Ray

The Kay-Chuk round is ANOTHER variation on the “K-Hornet” wildcatting theme, and was intended to be a varmint round used in re-chambered S&W Model 17 revolvers; this ended up being the inspiration for the 22 Remington Jet, but where the Jet suffered lock-ups because of the tapered 357 Mag case, the Kay-Chuck had a straight-walled case with a sharp bottleneck. It was successful enough that at least some producers started producing commercial wildcat components.

Vlad

SDC and I need to coordinate our posts. :) :)

FYI, the S&W K22 Masterpiece and the M17 are the same revolver.

Ray