.22 ilarco

I have recently come across mention of the .22 ILARCO ammunition, which is a .22 Magnum rimfire shortened to the same overall length as .22LR, and designed to be used in the American-180 SMG.

Are these rounds readily available to collectors?

The only round I know of that fits the description is a .22 Flechette round.

My mistake, they are two different rounds, but possibly for the same weapon.

Two different chamber sizes. The flechette is .22 LR whereas the .22 American, aka ILARCO, is of .22 Mag. size (body wise ).
Tony, I have a few extra rounds but, don’t know how I would get one to you.
M. D. Rea

Here is a picture of two “.22 American” cartridges between a .22 WMR, and next to a .22 LR. both .22 American cartridges have the Super X headstamp, one appears to be a hollow point. These are the only variations I know of.

Click the picture for a MUCH higher resolution version

I would say that the original ones are not too readily available to collectors, but I have one extra, and M. D. Rea has a couple extra so they are available.

I once emailed the one company that handles the American-180 parts and accessories, etc. and asked about the ILARCO cartridge. He told me that only around 1,000,000 were made and that only a few hundred remain. He said that no boxes were made for them.

Additionally, If you want a little more info on it,

The cartridge was made to increase the power of the American-180 submachinegun which already existed and shot .22LR. The gun was originally made by American Arms which is where the gun’s name comes from (and the cartridge is sometimes referred to as a .22 American.) Illinois Arms Company bought that company and are the ones who worked on the short magnum cartridge. This is were the ILARCO part comes from - ILlinois ARms COmpany

This is the Gun with the 165 round mag.

Oh yeah…and Ed Reynolds just started remaking this cartridges with all his wildcats he makes. I believe he can make them inert so he may be able to send one of those to you too?

Here is his on the left along with the two originals which are also shown up above.

There have been several other threads on this cartridge.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4546&start=0

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8547&p=60797#p60797

Paul

Thanks for the responses.

[quote=“AaronN322”]Oh yeah…and Ed Reynolds just started remaking this cartridges with all his wildcats he makes. I believe he can make them inert so he may be able to send one of those to you too?
[/quote]
An inert replica would be fine for my purposes. How do I get in touch with him?

I forwarded his latest Email list along with his email and info to you.

Thanks for the help so far.

Does anyone know the muzzle velocity this round achieved?

according to Cot of the World the MV is 1350 ft/sec.

Thanks Vic.