.22 Long Rifle with "Flat End Bullet"

The 1913-14 combined Remington-UMC catalog, besides the standard .22 Long Rifle with Lesmoke Powder, lists a “.22 Long Rifle, Lesmoke Powder, with Flat End Bullet”. It is listed as having a 40 gr. lead bullet. No drawing is provided for this load.

I assume it is referring to the base of the bullet being flat instead of the standard heal-cup base normally used, and not the nose of the bullet.

Does anyone know how to tell this load from the standard load once it is out of the box?

Does anyone have a box showing this designation? If so, what is the index number?

Is it referring to a wadcutter style? I have a .22 wadcutter in my collection from my father (I believe it’s Dominion - I don’t remember off-hand) He still has a part box of wadcutters. They are surprisingly flat ended for a .22 and you wouldn’t think that they would feed reliably.

Pdrice–The “wadcutter” .22 by Remington was called the “Sharp-Shoulder” bullet and was introduced in the mid-1930’s. I have never seen one by Dominion. I still think this “Flat End Bullet” is refering to the base not the nose.

Ron
Not my area, but could they be refering to a “roundnose with meplat style”? IIRC I have 22 samples that are full radius nosed AND radiused with flat tips

Tailgunner–I assume you are talking about a bullet like that used in a .22 W.R.F. I suppose it could be referring to something like that. But I have almost 2000 different .22 cartridges (I collected .22’s and .22 boxes exclusivly for 15 years) and I have never seen a .22 Long Rifle with a bullet like a W.R.F. bullet.

Ron,

I checked my “wadcutter” and it wasn’t a Dominion, it was a Remington/UMC as it has a “U” impressed headstamp. Are you sure that’s not what they meant. I always think of to “end” of the bullet as opposite the base. Could be just me. I’m new to collecting though. I’ll get a hold of my father and find out the brand of his part box.

Pdrice–I suspected you would find that the cartridge you had would have a “U” headstamp. Remington was the only company that made the .22 L.R. Sharp-Shoulder as far as I know. As I said earlier, it was introduced about 1936 or so. I have a full box of them. This “Flat End Bullet” loading was only listed from 1913 to 1916.

I know it has nothing to see because they are european ctges, but just for info :

1. some hollow point 22 German ctges have are round nose with a meplat style (and a hole of course) bullet.

I am talking about a big meplat, not a small one.

1. some French 22 have also a round nose with meplat bullet in 1907
    (it was to make the difference with black powder loaded ones using a regular bullet)

2. The 6 mm Longue portee have sometimes a round bose with meplat bullet

3. Same with 6 mm Bosquette

jp