.22 Lowenstein Luger

I am looking for the history of the .22 Lowenstein Luger cartride, and find little about it in my own library. Some questions about it:

Who was Lowenstein?
About when did he develop the .22 Lowenstein Luger?
While it is based on the .30 Luger case, was it really for a Luger Pistol?
Was it for a self-loading (auto, semi-automatic) pistol and all, or simply a low-powered varmint rifle cartridge?

Anything anyone can tell me about it will be appreciated. I just acquired a recently-made specimen, and if it is NOT intended for an auto pistol, then it is of no use to my collection.The name intimates it is, but that might also simply reference the fact it was made from the .30 Luger (7.65m/m Parabellum) case.

Hope someone can answer this.

Heck John, if you don’t know about it then any information must be scarce.

is this of any help:

Made by Louis Lowenstein of San Francisco from 7,65 mm Luger case. The case is formed by necking down the 7.65mm Luger (.30 Luger) to handle the .224-inch projectile.

IAA Journal [423/30]
White & Munhall - Pistol & Revolver Cartridges (II, rev. ed.)

from W&M “used…in special 6” and 9" Luger barrels".

I got this info if it helps…

.22 Lowenstein Luger
The .22 Lowenstein Luger was developed in the late 1950’s or early 1960’s by Louis Lowenstein of San Francisco. The case is formed by necking down the 7.65mm Luger (.30 Luger) to handle the .224-inch diameter projectile.
As the new trend seems to be toward short and fat, the Lowenstein Luger would be a big hit today, but When only the best is accurate enough.
Copyright AEM Enterprises, Inc., 2006 not back then. It died a quiet death by neglect. Perhaps it was just ahead of its time (a common phrase). In
fact, it really was ahead of its time.
In the late 1990’s, Martin Tuma Engineering of Solothurn, Switzerland encountered a problem with their
new fully automatic pistol chambered in 9mm. The recoil of the 9mm was to great in full auto mode. Enter
Petr Voboril (no it isn’t misspelled) of the Czech Republic. To resolve thr recoil problem, he necked the Luger
case down to handle a .224-inch diameter bullet. Sound familiar?
Did Louis Lowenstein finally become a recognized bright guy with a cartridge named for him? Did he reap
zillions of dollars in copyright payments? Not quite. Petr Voboril named the “new” cartridge the .224 VOB after
himself.
References:
Andresen, Vidar (1/1/2002). Case Types. International Ammuntion Association Journal, 423, 30.

Synonyms:
.22/.30 Luger
.22 Luger
.22 Parabellum

Guys - you embarrass me. Thanks for your help with such rapid information. I had no idea that the chap was from San Francisco, the city of my birth and where I worked almost all of my adult life, first with the Wine Institute of California, and then after a couple of years of Civil Service as a Department of Army Civilian across the bay from San Francisco, 36 years with the San Francisco Gun Exchange, and I had to ask you guys about Lowenstein. Also, despite a long time as an IAA Member and ten years its secretary, I forgot all about looking in Chris Punnett’s wonderful index for the Journal!

You guys are great! Guess it does belong in my collection, since I do collect auto pistol wildcats!

Vince, thanks for your vote of confidence in me, but you can see I have plenty to learn. I am not even expert in my own field!

You better believe I’m printing this out. I didn’t have any file for this caliber.

At this stage I often turn to Geneology to research the name and its suprising what you can turn up.

Interestingly, although Lowenstein is a place in Germany the use as a surname seems to cluster strongly around CA and appears to have been adopted by immigrants from Lowenstein. Possibly Jewish refugees and that is important because the family ethic is strong.

Therefore, although Louis has probably passed on by now its possible that there is only one extended family of Lowensteins in San Francisco and a bit of searching may turn up someone who remembers him.

Alternatively, there are geneology websites that allow you to access things like old telephone directories from the 50s and 60s which may turn up an address for him.

I am sorry to interfere but Petr Voboril (I know him well!) did not use a “Luger” case for his new round, but worked it out of a 7,62x25 Tokarev. On some of the trial rounds he made, remains of czech hstps are still visible…
Well, this is not too difficult to understand…

Cheers!

Philippe

Is there a headstamped version of the .22 Voboril. I have the pre-production one, but wondered if it ever reach full, serial production?

John,

I never saw any headstamped round, and if any, Petr should have given one to me…
The only variation I had, in + of the “common” round is a proof, with red tip and all red lacquered base. There was no serial production, as far as I know, and the whole affair did not go very far…
Cheers!

Philippe

There is a Louis K Lowenstein still living in California. Why not give him a call John? Its not a common name.

This is an interesting thread. I also looked on the internet and saw that the Lowenstein Luger cartridge is listed as a Pistol cartridge. You guys did a lot more research!

John had a great question on the weapon used for the cartridge, which I assume is a pistol-but what kind of pistol???

Did anyone run across a reference, or better yet, a photo of the pistol that was used with this cartridge?

Vince - How do I get the phone number of Louis K. Lowenstein, still living in California. Even if available on the internet, please do not POST IT HERE if you have found it. I don’t think it would be appropriate. You could PM me. If I ontact anyone, I will accept responsibility for having found the phone number.

John
If you go onto

www.iaf.net

enter the Name, City and State. This will do a search and tell you only one such name has been found. It will also switch you automatically over to www.intelius.com where for the payment of 95 cents it will give you his name and address.

Pay more and you can get his criminal record, tax return, social security number, divorce history, details of any bankruptcy, lawsuits, house value, previous addresses etc as well! George Orwell was right! Big Brother really is watching you.

Vince

I’m surprised it’s even legal to make that information available at all.

It’s done by compling public records, starting with phone books and moving on to available court & deed records.

It isn’t legal in Britain. Thats not to say its not illegally available and quite a lot of old records are becoming available.

----and Google will give you a picture of the house. It’s all good.

I know it is (luckily) illegal in the UK. What legitimate use could a member of the public possibly have for information like someone’s criminal record, tax return, social security number, divorce history, details of any bankruptcy, lawsuits, house value, previous addresses?

–just might be dating my daughter?-------- or on the other hand I might be dating someones mother.

Freedom of Information is a two way thing. If you want to take you also have to be prepared to give. It is a lot better than Britain where everything is secret and the Government hides behind the Official Secrets Act. Even criminals don’t get their previous misdemeaners read out in court. They are written on a piece of paper and handed to the judge for fear of breaching the prisioners human rights.

A lot of this information is really only ever used for checking potential employees, credit checking etc but it is useful for finding people.