22 Rimfire Adapter

Hello,

Found this at a small local show today. The seller thought it was a .223 snap cap but when I got it home, I found that there is an inner piece that slides out of the base. This inner piece has an o-ring to keep it from falling free and a protrusion on the end that must act to transfer the impact from the firing pin to the rimfire cartridge. There’s an internal chamber in the larger cartridge shaped piece that seems made for a 22 RF. Has anyone seen one like this and if so, who made them?

Thanks,
Tom

New IAA Member
03/09

Tom

Here’s a link to a recent thread where adapters and auxilliary cartridges are discussed. There’s one shown that is very similar to yours. Yours could be someone making an adapter for their own use or it could be a commercial product. It’s certainly collectible.

iaaforum.org/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=5996

Ray

Appears to be the same manufacturer as the ones I have. Mine were built by" MCA SPORTS 2800 WEST 33RD ROAD ANCHORAGE, ALASKA 99517-2201 #907-248-4913".

I suppose this adapter doesn’t need to be rifled as it is made to be fired in a .22 Calibre barrel.

What material is it made of? Parkerised steel?

Thanks, this what I was looking for. I just wanted the info so I could add it to the database I’m trying to build. Have you ever used yours? It seems that accuracy will not be very good as the bore dia for .223 is larger than 22RF.

[quote=“Falcon”]
I suppose this adapter doesn’t need to be rifled as it is made to be fired in a .22 Calibre barrel. What material is it made of? Parkerised steel?[/quote]

Both parts are steel but I’d say the outer shell is plated and not park’d.

Thank you all for your comments
Tom

Here a picture of a french 22/223 rimfire adapter.
The “headstamp” (on the side of the case) is “LH 5.56-22”

Michel

[quote=“Maverick1112003”]Here a picture of a french 22/223 rimfire adapter.
The “headstamp” (on the side of the case) is “LH 5.56-22”

Michel[/quote]

Identical except for the length of the anvil and the fact that the bullet does not protrude from the mouth of the case. Recessed by approx .09".

556GUY to answer your question, yes I have used mine and had problems with it. The “firing pin” on the small inner piece was to small and delicate and after @20 shots it flatend out so bad it wouldnt fire anymore. However the company sent me a new one and I just put it into storage. However I have used their centerfire models before(45-70 to 45acp,30-30 to 32 H&R magnum, 30-06 to 32 H&R magnum) and found them very reliable. And to answer someone elses question about accuracy, they are designed to take small game at close range using your hunting rifle and in this context they are more than accurate enough. I never shoot more than 25 yards with any of mine. Some require a small sight quess work. Most hit within a couple inches of point of aim at 25 yards. Beyond that range things change. I hunt and carry either a 30-06 or 30-30 most everywhere I go so using one of these adapter I can carry a handful of 32 ACP either ball or hydro-shok and hunt small game. The noise level is less than a 22 long rifle.

30-30, Perhaps the firing pin on yours was not correctly hardened.