.22 Tokarev cartridge (made by Hanulik)

There are many talks about .22 cal cartridge based on Tokarev case - I have made short research in this regard and introducing you the one which was at the beginning of the story…(at least on the European side)

.22 Tokarev cartridge was developed in early 90’s (1993-1994) by Rene Hanulik – Czech gunsmith for his modified Tokarev TT33 pistol. Only one pistol was made (with 2 barrels) – one in standard length 4.6” and extended one for higher muzzle velocities (5.75”); standard frame has been enlarged to hold double stuck magazine for 15 and 20 rounds. This gun was probably captured by police when he died and shall be kept in their deposit.
.22 Tokarev cartridge has been used as a predecessor of .224 VOB. Dimensions are almost the same except the case length (25.3mm) and OAL length (34.5mm). Cartridge cases are Czech military origin with Berdan primer, chemically cleaned. This cleaning technology used Sellier& Bellot in 80’s and 90’s for factory reloads of obsolete calibers. Loading info as well as performance unfortunately unknown…

Measurement can be seen at municion.org (.22 Tokarev)

22 Tokarev & family

22 Tokarev HS

These cartridges came from the same person who provided me with SLS/AMB info. He was really good friend of Rene Hanulik, creator of .22 Tokarev.
Even Petr Voboril (.224 VOB “designer”) confirmed that the cartridge design was not done by them but somebody did it for them from Eastern Bohemia. Hanulik lived in Pardubice…located in Eastern Bohemia.

Cartridges on the picture above:

.22 Tokarev (Hanulik case) is 25.3mm
.224 VOB is 23.2mm
.22 TCM is 26mm (based on .223 case)
.22 Reed Exp. is 24.9mm
.224 BOZ is 23.1mm (based on 10mm Auto case)
5.6 Picra is 24.9mm
6x25 Picra

I don’t have Picek’s case to compare with .22 Reed Express but it looks very similar - most of the Picra cartridges are “certified” US wildcats.

.224 VOB was intended for 26 rounds pistol constructed by Martin Tuma (CH)…I don’t know whether it was capable to shoot in bursts…? Probably yes.
.22 Tokarev (made by Hanulik) - except TT 33 pistol there could be barrel made for SA 24 as well
(there are people who witnessed Hanulik’s test shooting). There were many projects in early 90’s without the proper records.

Very interesting information, thanks for posting.

Trabi - any chance of a photo of the headstamps of all those rounds
in your initial picture?

John Moss

John,
sure…sorry, I didn’t want to repeat the pictures already posted here.

224 VOB HS

22 TCM HS

22 Reed ExpressHS

224 BOZ HS

Thank you!

John Moss

Do you mean that he had illegally assembled the gun and the police confiscated it when he died?

Definitely no, as mentioned in the first post he was the gunsmith with all needed licenses. As a licensed guy he could possess any full auto weapon as well as develop the parts and ammo.
.22 Tokarev was just the proprietary cartridge, the gun in this caliber you can’t sell or transfer to any other person just with the private Gun License. Even semi auto weapon in proprietary caliber without the proof marks it’s not possible to transfer/possess without the gunsmith license. I have discovered that his SA 61 Scorpion Rifle is kept in the Police deposit - I’ll post the picture if I find it (was able to take the picture). Concerning his .22 TT pistol not the SA 24 submachine gun - can’t find any records. Could be destroyed as most of his barrel blanks, gun parts or it still kept in Crime Lab for testing…sorry I don’t know.

Made you a picture from the rounds I have.

Perhaps interesting

Rgds

Trabbi

Dutch,

Yes, those are interesting and raise some questions:

Is the cartridge on the right a proof load?

Do you know the reason for the unusual bullet ogive in the cartridge on the left?

Brian

Brian, sorry but I have absolutely no idea what kind of rounds these are.
I have these rounds in my pistol drawer for several years now and hoping on some help from the forum

Rgds

Red painted is proof round loaded with S&B 45 grs Hornet FMJ bullet.
Standard round contains the steel penetrator it seems as it’s strongly magnetic (not like just CWS jacket with lead core). I would guess it is an imprint of seating die (not properly made seating stem) as the level of each cartridge is different - depending on the friction of each neck. The cartridge is not belled nor crimped - it was loaded just friction seated. Necks have not been annealed - most of the cartridges have split necks.
I may raise the question to Petr Voboril - will be meeting him next week or week after.

I went through my old files…found finally - excuse the quality of the pictures but it was taken more than 10 years ago with my Nokia phone camera at the police deposit. Hanulik’s logo is not clearly readable but the company name is crispy visible. Here is the Phoenix carbine with integrated silencer made in early 90’s by Rene Hanulik.

Is that an aluminum grip unit?

Have no idea…metal part of the silencer is covered by the wooden sleeve (stock, grip and forehand are made from wood)

I mean the gun’s main body, not the stock.

Definitely not - most probably made from brand new spare parts of SA 61 and instead of black oxidizing it’s done brown. Same color you can find on early CZ 50 slides.

Bizarre gun. Do you know if it retained the firing rate retarder mechanism in the grip?