.22 Winchester auto

Request for comments: have received several rounds that appear to be .22 Win auto, due to their general match to dimensional data in COTW. Although dirty, they appear to be copper cased, headstamp U, significant annular crimp, both solids and hollow points. Both styles are identical, except that the hollow point has crossed (“X”) slits on the meplat. The slits are very fine, and seem to be factory done. Comments on identity? Thanks

Wouldn’t a “U” headstamp be a Remington? If so, I think it’s probably .22 Remington Auto. Didn’t Winchester have an “H” headstamp? “U” for Union Metallic Cartridge Co. which Remington bought out and “H” for “Henry”, which is a precursor to Winchester.

U.M.C. made the .22 Win. Auto and Remington-UMC made both rounds. Both had a “U” headstamp. Go to this thread for a discussion of this very issue.

iaaforum.org/forum2/viewtopic.ph … t=win+auto

You can’t tell which it is by the headstamp, as both the .22 Winchester auto and .22 Remington auto will be found with U and H headstamps. The easiest way to distinguish between them is by the rim diameter; the Winchester auto should have a rim diameter of about .310", the Remington auto about .290".

Thanks for the comments to date. It’s pretty clear that these are .22 Win Auto. Rim: .307-.313, Base: .248-.250, OAL: .898-.915 My interest would be on the copper cases, and particularly on the very fine nose slits forming a hollow point concept, and some idea if these are common.

Gordon–They are very common. Worth about 10 cents each.

I don’t believe the copper cases are that unusual, as copper was pretty much the norm for Remington up until about WW2. I suspect the slits were a modification made outside the factory.

Thanks for comments. It seems that the only feature that is indeterminate is the slits on the meplat (flat portion of nose of bullet). The meplat is perhaps 1/10 to 1/8 inch in diameter, and the slits from an “X” just in that area. The slits are very fine, perhaps the thickness of a sheet of paper, and in general do not seem to penetrate little or any down the sides of the bullet. I just can’t envision how this would be done at home-- sure looks like they were swaged in at manufacture. Is there any precedent for any other lead bullet ammo from Win or Rem in the pre-WWII era having crossed slits as a hollow point? I’m pursuing this topic not necessarily for economic gain, but to understand if these rounds should be conserved. Thanks again.

Gordon, just took my loupe to all my 22 Winchester auto and Remington auto cartridges, about 25 each. Copper and brass cases, plain lead and plated bullets, solid and hollow point. None in my collection have the X mark you describe. Several of the larger hollowpoints (hole size) have sort of what looks like tiny paper scraps in the hole but this is probably from banging around in the boxes. Most of my boxes are sealed so did not look at any still in full boxes.

Gourd