222 Rim from Down Under

How old is this box? How common was this calibre? Municion.org has only 1 manufacturer posted.

Vlad

I can’t say how old that particular carton is (one of our friends in OZ can probably tell you), but the 222 Rimmed cartridge is at least 55 years old. They were originally imported as empty cases by Elwood Epps in Canada and used as the basis for several wildcats in the 1960s. I had my own that used a .25 caliber bullet chambered in a TC pistol. I called it the 25 SUPER, of course.

A great looking carton. Where do you find that stuff?

Ray

A friend sold me a huge box of old stuff at local show because he is tired to carry this heavy box nobody wants. So I got an archeological dig at home for $25, with drinks and air conditioning and all in front of my computer. Beats heat and sand of the deserts!!!

You are right about the heat and sand. I discourage anyone from moving to this god-forsaken place. Stay where you are. You guys in the other States (and countries) don’t realize how good you have it. ;)

I’ve got at least 6 full new boxes of this brass. Always thought I might chamber a Ruger #1 in it. I believe it was a popular round to re-chamber/re-barrel the large number of Martini Cadet rifles found in Australia. Perhaps to keep the 'roo and rabbit population under control.

The .222 Rimmed was developed using the original .222 Timless (Remington) cartridge as a starter, to rebarrel the hundreds of Surplus Martini Cadet rifles
available in the 1950s in Australia.
The Super Cartridge Co (Marybyrnong, Melbourne, Victoria) made new CF cases to suit, and the Use as both a Hunting cartridge (Rabbits, foxes, other small ferals) and as a Target cartridge.
Super continued making these cases ( and ammo) until the late 1970s, when it folded, and Bruce Bertram ( 1982-83) bought all the machinery and inventory of remaining Super products and the Trademarks. Once the stocks of “Super” packages etc were exhausted, the new BB trademark packet became more common.
BB (Bertram Bullets) of Seymour, (Rural Victoria) continues the manufacture of Cases on an occasional basis, now under its “BB” brand and box design.

Existing “Super” Packets and period shells are now “Collectibles” The Super shells, although of good brass to start with, are mostly beyond their “Use by” date, and at the least, will require an good neck shoulder and part body anneal to prevent splits on firing. Current production by BB are what they are, (I don’t comment on their quality).

I still get requests (thru my Obsolete Case Business) for the .222 Rim, and I refer all queries to the various BB distributors, or to the Factory itself.

Regards,
Doc AV

A few more 222 Rimmed boxes by Super Cartridge Co.

I think the discoloured white box is the oldest followed by the Green/Red box like Vlads. Both have the original Super Cartridge Co Pty Ltd name.

The clean white box and mid-right yellow box are late 70s production as they have the Super Cartridge (1977) Pty Ltd name as a result of the Super ‘corporate restructure’.

The yellow box with UNPRIMED BRASS sticker are the Bertram produced brass using up old stock of Super boxes. There is a whole range of these boxes in at least 222Rim and 303-25 with and without Bertram address stickers or unprimed brass stickers. Bertram also made some loaded ammo in 303-25 and sold it in over stickered Super boxes.
This picture shows the difference between the two white boxes even though they look the same on the front.

There are other Super box variations that may be found in 222RIM too.

The Corporate restructure ( "Super Cartridge Co Pty.Ltd. to Super Cartridge (1977) Pty. Ltd. was due in part to the ruinous patent infringement case of the early 1970s, when Super made its own “Impact Extrusion” Shotsells, using a variation of Winchester-Western (Olin) “AA One Piece Extruded Case” patents.

The Case, in the Australian Federal Courts ( which handle Patent actions) was long and drawn out, and virtually bankrupted Super; Olin, of course won, and all the offending products by Super had to be destroyed. I have a bucket of Fired cases of the Super one piece cases (white, slightly translucent Plastic)

After this, the owners of Super were forced to financially re-organise to survive…but it didn’t last long…the damage was done, and by 1983 the Business had closed, and the Machinery, Inventory and tradermarks had been sold to Bruce Bertram, who had just retired (still young) from the Victorian Police Force. The original property in Marybyrnong had increased quite a lot in value, and the owners sold this as well, to developers. BY the end of the 1990s, all of Industrial Marybyrnong and neighbouring Footscray had been de-industrialised , and redeveloped as part of Melbourne’s “Docklands” Renaissance ( Including in 1994, the closure and demolition of the Ammunition Factory Footscray, est. in the 1880s).

I studied the “Olin Corp. v Super Cartridge Co” case in Patent and Trademark Law, back in 2003…along with some other very interesting Gun-related cases which “made law” in the Commercial sense, going back to the 1830s.

regards,
Doc AV

Informative comment & very true , my grandfather was factory manager at this time ( I was about 10 or 12 & spent a lot of time with my grandfather ) he was very critical of upper management/owners & eventually lost his whole superannuation to this company .