223 rem short range

What can you tell me about this cartridge. The black piece sticking out of the copper bullet feels like aluminum? Headstamp is .223 5.56 HP

JH

Joe, it is an Austrian short range cartridge made by Hirtenberger. This design was also used in 7.62x51 and 7.62x39 cartridges.
The core is black plastic. Check M

This is how the cartridge looks from the inside:

That’s the Hirtenberger ‘Short Range Lead Free’ alright. The bullet is 29grs IIRC. The ones in my collection have a copper covered steel jacket.

-Allen

If you sell any of these cartridges on an auction site be sure to label them as “Navy Seals Spec-Ops super secret armor piercing explosive bullets” since that is what they are typically labeled as when transformed into auction mode.
:-)

[quote=“DK configuration”]If you sell any of these cartridges on an auction site be sure to label them as “Navy Seals Spec-Ops super secret armor piercing explosive bullets” since that is what they are typically labeled as when transformed into auction mode.
:-)[/quote]

hahaha… I think that goes without saying. :-)

Thanks for the info. 1st time I’ve saw these, how many diffirent calibers of these are out there? Cause now I want one of each.

Joe, here are three variations of the same cartridge.

Headstamps from L to R;
.223 5.56 83
HP .223 5.56
HP 01 91

And don’t forget the cartridge I’ve posted above: that’s number 4!

Im seeing boxes of new to me 223 Rem that say short range. The box has a letter H and a letter O intwined. The bullets have a black plastic core around a copper jacket. Buulet weight 20 grains and the ammo has 27 grains of ball powder. Can anyone give me more insight as to uses and ballisics of this round?

I haven’t yet worked out how to post a link to a previous thread but as John says these are indeed Austrian short range rounds made by Hirtenberger.
Go into the search facility and search on ‘Hirtenberger’ then scroll through a few posts until you come to the one titled ‘.223 5.56 HP’ and you’ll find a thread on this round including pictures of four very similar variations.

Jim–If by a “Previous Thread” you mean on the archived section from the Old Forum, you can not post new material. All those posts are locked. But, if you give me the location of an archived thread, I can bring it into the New Forum for you.

I think Jim means this topic viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6985&hilit=hirtenberger

FROM THE ADMIN.: I have merged the old archived topic with this one as the old one is quite informative.

John–I merged the thread from the Old Forum with this one as they seemed to be discussing the same round as suggested by Jim. Would you like me to delete your answer that you spoke of above?

Thanks guys for all the help. I cant find any website stating ballistics of this round. Does anyone either know the ballistics or a site I can obtain this imfo? A friend has shot a few rounds and he says they cycle his AR and that he shot it clear through a green 4" aspen tree.

deleted

Remchester,

I have seen an unverified source indicate it as a 21 gr. bullet at 3380 fps.

Dave

I still have a gob of these. FYI they did not reliably cycle in my Colt AR15 or Bushmaster rifles. They produced a ‘splash’/mark approx. 0.25" deep in mild 0.75" steel plate, with the projectile stuck in the target.