.223 Wylde

Anyone have a picture of a .223 Wylde beside a regular .223 rem?

Also, is there any advantage to shooting it over a .223 rem if my gun supports both?

Aaron

The Wylde is more of a chambering than a cartridge. If you google 223 Wylde you’ll get a lot of hits and a lot of opinions on the advantages/disadvantages.

Ray

@Ray

Ha, well then maybe that is why I couldn’t find a picture of a .223 Wylde cartridge! It doesn’t exist!

Ray

Please explain the “chambering vs cartridge” reply. My guess is, some guy whipped out a chamber reamer(a Mr. Wylde, perhaps?) but never bothered with the cartridge details. Are there dimensions for this Wylde chambering somewhere? Does this (nonexistent) round actually count for anything? If there ain’t no bullets, then a big WTF from me.

Fred

Just thought of another angle on this chambering thing. Was this maybe just a math game played by a few bored folks, looking to one up each other with computational ballistics? Now THAT’s a smart sounding question if ever there was.

@Fred
http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=228

notice caliber

AHA! Thanks for that info. A round to sell guns. Like so many others.

And it’s really Rick. Not Fred. Fred isn’t really “with” us, but his spirit is alive and well.

Rick
The change that Wilde made is to the throat of the chamber, so allow the safe/interchangeable usage of both the 223Rem and the 5.56 NATO rounds, without worrying about any loading/pressure differences.
Or, as Ray stated, a difference in the chamber not a difference in the round

Excuse me I don’t understand very well

For me 223 and 5.56 are the same (like 308 Win and 7.62x 51) cases except one thing : the thickness of the case, which is thicker for 5.56 and 7.62 than for 223 and 308. (this been because these ctges were designed from the beginning to be used in a MG)

Therefore the outside dimensions are the same and, if we are talking about a bolt rifle, the chambers are the same. Right or not ?

The only noticeable difference must be , not even for assault rifles I think, but for Machine Guns. Right or not ?
Thanks
JP

JP

The 5.56x45 and the 223 Remington cartridges and chamberings are, essentially, the same but there are minor differences in the specifications. The most notable are the pressure and the bullet seating depth. In most military and commercial chambers, either cartridge will usually work. But, you may find some instances where they will not interchange, particularly in custom chambers or so called “tight” chambers that are cut for competition purposes. Proprietary chambers such as the Wylde are designed to address these situations since they will accomodate either cartridge.

The need for chambers such as the Wylde is probably just as much imagined as it is real. Entrepreneur’s are quick to cash in on things such as this and, if it has not already happened, you will probably see Wylde cartridges, properly headstamped, before too long.

Ray

Thanks Ray

JP

The .223/5.56 split can be significant, or sometimes negligible.

Advertised factory velocities for instance can be as little +/-50fps between the 2 loadings (same product, same manufacturer. see Speer’s product lit on their 64gr Gold Dot loads in .223/5.56). If you look at the spec sheets you’ll see the same allowance for velocities within a manufacturer’s lot of cartridges within the same caliber, so you may be splitting hairs for no real reason.

With regards to terminal performance of the bullet, the difference can be significant. The 5.56x45mm/.223 rifle is a fickle beast, and 50-100fps can mean the difference between adequate bullet performance and ‘no-go’, especially when you don’t play the barrel length/twist game just right.

RRA’s Wylde chambering basically lets accuracy-conscious AR15 users freely/safely practice with relatively inexpensive 5.56 NATO ammo, and use niche loadings in either .223-only offerings (ie many hunting/varmint rounds and Federal’s Bonded Tactical product) or the sometimes hotter NATO-spec cartridges (Hornady’s 75gr TAP T2 for instance).

You’ll find a similar variance-chambering in 6.8mm Remington SPC AR15s…standard original factory loads, and ‘Type II’ chambers designed for use with hotter rounds from SSA.

Since I am an ‘end-user’ of the platform, I worry less about ‘computational ballistics’ (excellent term Rick!), and very little about the ammo as long as it is safe and performs predictably and adequately.