228 Wby Mag?

I have been chasing Wby Mag for about 6 years and all of a sudden in COTW 12 edition, it lists a 228 Wby Mag. My first reaction is a misprint? Has anyone seen this cartridge or actually have one? thanks Vic

What page in COTW ? I see 220, and 224 Weatherby, not the 228?
I am familiar with the 224 Weatherby Magnum currently being made today, and there was a 220 Weatherby Rocket Wildcat which was only made as a wildcat from 220 Winchester cases, but not a .228 .
There was a .228 belted Magnum (which maybe confused as a Weatherby) made by Ackley for a special order for R.B. Sisk
see “Wildcat Cartridges, page 99”, Book by Richard Simmons, 1947. Ackley made many different .228 Wildcat cartridges, but to my knowledge Roy Weatherby never did make a .228 cartridge.
Thank you,
Dave Call
ammo-one.com

pg 94 in the obsolete american cartridge section, it seems the 228 Ackley magnum was the original idea .

Wow, new one on me, why this hobby is never ending learning, it does say Roy Weatherby had a 228 Magnum ? Not sure where COTW got the information? looks to be out of an old catalog.
I have about 6 to 8 wildcat books going back to 1947 and not in any of them. It looks like it goes back before 1947?
thanks for the information, we will be looking for more .
Best
Dave Call
www.ammo-one.com

A Google search for the term “228 weatherby magnum” shows 59 results, with the first one at this link:

http://www.reloadbench.com/cartridges/224wm.html

It says that the 228 was Roy’s second cartridge which was made by shortening and necking down the .300 H & H case for the 70 grain, .284" bullets. There is a notation at the bottom of the paragraph that says the Hodgdon data manual, 26th edition is the source for that info.

Seems to be plenty of info in the digital realm, but much of the chatter does say it is an obscure/rare cartridge.

The 228 Weatherby Magnum is nothing more than a wildcat, one of several like it, with the big difference being that it has Weatherby’s name on it. You have to remember, before, during and after WW II there were many wildcatters and experimenters re-shaping and improving various cases such as the 30-40, 30-30, 30-06 and 300 H&H. Weatherby was just one of many. Some, such as Weatherby, Ackley, Lovell, and Neidner, went on to turn their avocation into money making businesses but today most are remembered only by a few old-timers.

Because Weatherby was a great salesman, his cartridges have taken on a special appeal not only among shooters but collectors as well. A 220 Weatherby Rocket cartridge (supposed) will bring a premium in most auctions while the same wildcat made by Ackley or Kilbourn will go unnoticed even though they are much rarer. It hardly seems fair to a wildcat collector, like me, who has many cartridges that are extremely rare but worth only pennies, but I don’t collect for profit, only for the aggravation. ;) ;)

Ray

So is there a 228 with a Weatherby Headstamp or was it a 300 H&H wildcat with the 300 H&H headstamp?

Vic

I’ve never seen one with that headstamp. I don’t have that edition of COTW so I can’t say what it showed. When I said it had Weatherby’s name on it I meant that the cartridge bore his moniker.

Collecting wildcats has changed a lot in the last 20 years. And not for the better, IMHO.

Ray

I think that it could well be a .228" necked up version of the 224 Weatherby or the 240 Weatherby

Most .224" cartridges were necked up to .228" such as the .220 Swift and the .225 Winchester. Why? Maybe for a heavier bullet or a heavy-but-short bullet compared to the standard .224" ones

[quote=“Pivi”]I think that it could well be a .228" necked up version of the 224 Weatherby or the 240 Weatherby

Most .224" cartridges were necked up to .228" such as the .220 Swift and the .225 Winchester. Why? Maybe for a heavier bullet or a heavy-but-short bullet compared to the standard .224" ones[/quote]

Better answer, and IIRC the real reason behind the .228’s, is that a couple state game departments banned big game (deer size and up) hunting with bullets .224, or smaller, in diameter.

Tailgunner: .226-.228" projectiles and cartridges existed commercially long before the .224" size was developed.

The .228 Weatherby is mentioned by Phil Sharpe in his later editions of “Complete Guide to Handloading”. It includes loading data from Weatherby. Wolfe’s “Wildcat Cartridges, Vol. 2” has an article by Layne Simpson regarding the .220 Rocket in which he reprints correspondence with Roy Weatherby discussing the Rocket and the .228 Weatherby.

Sisk was making both .227 and .228 bullets before WW II. For those wildcatters who felt that .224 just wasn’t big enough, and for the 22 Savage Hi Power which had been around since before WW I.

Bob, it was the .230 wiildcats that were intended to bypass those pesky State laws. I have 4 or 5 different ones in my collection. What with the special bullets, barrels, and loading dies, they didn’t last long. But there are guys today who ask about them. History repeating itself every couple of generations.

Whoever has a copy of COTW with the 228 Weatherby should post what it says.

At the risk of repeating myself, it was a wildcat, no more, no less.

Ray

I wasn’t planning to do this right now but the time seems right, so . . .

I’ll sell my 220 Weatherby Double Radius Shoulder Rocket (on the right) along with a conventional 220 Weatherby Rocket (on the left) for only $175. For another $5 I will include a photo reproduction of Roy hisself and an appropriate story.

Email me only.

Ray

†his is a copy from the COTW 12 Edition

Sorry about the right edge the book is still curved not enough use yet!

Very interesting…could you please post also the picture of the cartridge? So it is more or less a .228" caliber short magnum and developed by Roy Weatherby

sorry no picture in the COTW book.

I’ve also seen the picture of a case made by Bertram labeled “500 weatherby” , a caliber listed in their custom list of production too …I have no info about this cartridge, it could be simply a wildcat with correct hds made for a single shooter

It is described as a 460 weatherby case necked up for .510" bullets…this is interesting because it should be no more than another name for the well-known 510 Wells american wildcat

I found this additional info about the 228 WM :

“The very first cartridge designed by Roy Weatherby in the 1940’s was the .220 Rocket, an improved version of the .220 Swift. The Rocket was not exactly a howling success, because even back then, shooters knew that very little velocity could be gained by burning more powder in a .224” caliber bore than was consumed by the .220 Swift. Weatherby never manufactured ammunition for this caliber. Roy’s second high velocity twenty-two was the .228 Weatherby Magnum, made by shortening and necking down the .300 H & H case. I believe some rifles were chambered for these cartridges. One of our members claimed to have seen some of these in the Weatherby Collectors Association events"

Ok so far the cartridge was never in production but a “few” rifles where made so I guess it is a Wildcat? Based on the 300 H&H mag shortened, any one know how short? Thanks Vic

The Complete book on Hand loading by Philip Burdette Sharpe has a description of the 228 Wby, any one have this book?

All the standard short magnums with a case length of about 62 mm are based on the 300 H&H or 375 H&H shortened case

I think that the 228 WM should be shorter than the 257 - 270 - 7 mm weatherby due to the bullet diam. A 22" cartridge with that case capacity would be badly overbore even with the modern powders available