23x152b stainless steel case

It’s machined straight through, does not follow the outside profile.

3 Likes

Really a good one, never heard of these before!

How about a few more

Two very similar steel cases, drilled straight through. no headstamps
12.7x108
12.7x99

Two reference dummies

1 Like

I have seen this item before and am cionfident it was made by the Air Force Research Lab (AFRL) at Wright-Patterson AFB. I couldn’t find this organization on the AFRL website, but I had dealings with them in the late 1970s and early 1980s.Their mission was to test aircraft structures for the effects of anti-aircraft gunfire and missiles. I posted some info at:

If you click on the missing images you should be able to see them!

The note on the side is basically correct. The Lab didn’t need the round to be fired at full velocity so they typically fired them significantly downloaded. These are not experimental in the way we normally use the word since they were not intended to be tests leading to production. They were simply tools used in vulnerability testing and

One of the activities this lab did was to train aircraft teams in Battle Damage repair. They had a 23 x152mm single shot weapon that could be disassembled and was carried in a small case. It included some steel cases like the one shown above. They had also sent actual Soviet HE projectiles ahead to the base they were to visit. They would set up their 23mm weapon and fire the he projectiles into sections of aircraft structure (not actual aircraft) so the mechanics see the damage a 23mm HE round did. Then the mechanics would have to design the correct repair for that specific damage and repair the structure. They had these SS rounds in a number of calibers, but most were 23x152 because that was expected to be the source of most of the battle damage. The other calibers were only used for testing projectiles in their lab at WPAFB in Ohio. I passed on quite a bit of this type stuff to Bill Woodin. Sometime this training was done with full-up Soviet cartridges depending on the facilities/space available at the base where the training was conducted.

Cheers,
Lew

2 Likes

Nice to see the 12.7x108 too!
I know it also existed in 14.5x114.

Full velocity was not always needed as they are also simulating the velocity of the expected impact (i.e. expected distance).
Means the rounds were loaded to V300, or V500 or V800 or what so ever. This also explains the smaller powder volume of the cases as small charges could generate way too high pressures (burning surface).

1 Like

Wasn’t ordnancecom selling one of the supper heavy “chamber” cartridges recently on gunbroker? Whoever it was, they were asking like 3-500$ for it, so I never had any interest.

1 Like