24 Cal With Nato Headstamp

Hello, Can i please get some help in I D’ing a round i picked up. It does have a Nato meatball with a headstamp of WRA 67. When i got it the vender said it was either a 30/24 or a 24/30. It does look military. This heatstamp date is late at 1967 for our US Light Rifle Projects. Also, i have been reading about the calibers that were mentioned in that project and none were 24 cal. The bullet is non magnetic. Could this be just a wildcat or could other countrys have loaded this for military trials? The case is 51 mm long and the bullet measures .241 or 6.13mm. Thanks in advance

Joe - A photo would help, but could it be a 243 Winchester loaded with in a GI case?

Ray

Thanks Ray, I will try sending a photo

Hey Joe

It might save you some time to dig out your JOURNAL #465, page 50 and read my article on the 243 Winchester. Your cartridge may be pictured there.

Ray

Thanks Again Ray, i am having a problem posting a picture, joe

Does it look like one of these?

Ray

Good Morning Ray.

I really appreciate you helping me on this one.  My round has the same shoulder angle and bullet tip as your center round. Thats a Great Picture.   My case measures 51.60 mm with an overall length of 67.74 mm.  My bullet tip's gray area measures 2.32 mm and is non-magnetic.

Thanks, joe

Joe

Center and right were two popular 6mm wildcats made from 308W brass before the introduction of the 243W in 1955. After the 243 was introduced they became more or less obsolete.

With a 1967 case headstamp I’d say yours is simply a 243W made from 7.62 mm NATO brass. Very common way to get brass for a 243. I’ve made hundreds of them that same way. The neck and case length are a little short, but they work just fine.

The photo is from my JOURNAL article.

Ray

Hi Ray, Another Nice Job! Thank You, joe

Ray,

did they push down the shoulder on the 6-308 to obtain a slightly longer neck?

Marco

Yes, that’s exactly what they did. Winchester took a different approach when the introduced the 243W. They simply increased the case length .030" and left the shoulder where it was.

Ray

Joe

I should have noted that those 2 designations, 308-6mm and 6-308, were taken right from the labels on the boxes the wildcatters put them in. The designations that the vendor gave you, 30/24 or a 24/30, could be just as legitimate. There was no Internet back in those days and there may have been 3 or 4 guys coming up with the same wildcat cartridge and yet calling it by a different name without realizing they had not re-invented the wheel.

Such is the wide, wide world of wildcatting.

Ray

Thats Good News Ray, I’ll Listed Both Ways, joe