244 H&H magnum box date of production?

Could someone date this box?I don’t think it is a very common item , and the box is in quite good conditions
Found a fired case inside whose hds is " 244 MAGNUM" .

30-04- 65? in the usual British format DD-MM-YY. Im not saying definitively thats what it is but it looks like it. Its a standard Kynoch box printed up for H&H.

Have a look inside the flaps as well

I think the date is 30th April 1965 = 30 04 65

@vince…great minds think alike ;)

Snap Armourer! both posted at the same time.

Thank you!

The calibre wasn’t introduced till the mid 50s and Kynoch was in decine by the late 60s so its a fairly narrow window of time.

I hope those boxes aren’t rare because i must have binned hundreds in my time.
Just a little observation really. Why on earth would anyone want a full jacket .244 bullet in a round like that?

A brick of .244 H&H Magnum Cartridges. 100 Copper Pointed bullets. 10 sealed boxes of 5 each wrapped in heavy brown paper on a British action site .

Glenn

DAVID LLOYD RIFLEMAKERS CO, the sale of the name and goodwill of the company.
David Lloyd established his rifle making business in 1932 at Pipewell Hall Northampton and ran the business until his death in 1996. He was succeeded by his wife Evadne Lloyd who continued the business until her death in 2003. It was then sold to John Shirley, formerly Technical Manager of James Purdey & Sons. The business name and records are now offered for sale as the vendor is now living and working in Italy.
David Llewellyn Lloyd served as a pilot in the Royal Flying Corps during the First World War, competed regularly at Bisley and was a dedicated stalker - credited with over 5000 deer in a stalking career that spanned more than half a century. His frustration with the telescopic sight mounts available in the 1930’s and a desire to find a ‘Stable platform from which to shoot’, led to the development of his now famous fixed telescope mounting system for which he received British Patent number 646419 in 1949 that when locked into position was sufficiently robust to retain its zero even when subjected to the rigors of stalking without the need to re-zero prior to each hunt. Lloyd favoured the Mauser 98 action and Zeiss or Swarovski fixed power telescopic sights. Furthermore, Lloyd wanted a very flat shooting round to go with his rifle and in particular, a bullet that would transfer all its energy to the beast rather than just passing straight through it. Having built and sold several .240 calibre rifles during the 1930’s and 40’s he settled on the .244 calibre using an IMI Kynoch designed 100 grn aluminium and a copper tipped bullet, loaded into a necked down .375 Holland & Holland Magnum case. Lloyd had enjoyed a good relationship with Holland & Holland who liked the new cartridge and offered Lloyd

Interesting piece of information, thanks for that. I used to know John Shirley years ago.

From what I can tell the .244 was the ultimate British wildcat although H&H would not have recognised that expression. It had a claimed MV of 3,500 fps. I have fired several .244s years ago when I worked for H&H on a casual basis at their shooting ground in Ducks Hill Road, Northwood. (circa 1970-72)

Its weakness , and its ultimate downfall was the ammunition. To put it bluntly Kynoch was not capable of producing ammunition of sufficient quality and consistancy to do the rifle justice.

I simply think that the 244 H&H cartridge was too hot for the powders available in the past.Only modern and very slow burning powders could work well in that round

Kynoch broke with tradition and imported American powders for the .244. Certainly modern powders would do better but you wouldn’t need that massive case capacity.

The real problem I would say were the bullets. The technology required to make 6mm bullets capable of real accuracy at 3,500 fps was simply beyond Kynoch’s capability as a rather tired manufacturer of obsolete calibres using old machinery and a 1920s mindset.

We really need Ray to come in here and explain what would have been needed and just how far off the mark Kynoch were.