.25-20 Short and Long

What are the proper names for the .25-20 “Short” and “Long”? I have the “Short” round headstamped “W.R.A.Co. .25-20 W.C.F.” and the “Long” case headstamped “W.R.A.Co. 25 - 20”. Why are there two completely different case lengths both with the name “.25-20”? Thanks in advance for any info.

The short 25-20 was ideated for repeating weapons because the long version,called “25-20 single shot” wasn’t ideal for these rifles

Falcon

Pivi got it right again. He’s really sharp today ! ;) ;)

The “long” 25-20 is more correctly called the 25-20 SS. It preceded the 25-20 WCF.

One interesting side for collectors. The 25-20 SS case was the basis for the very popular 22-3000 Lovell wildcats of the 1930s and 1940s. They were so popular that virtually all 25-20 SS brass was either converted or hoarded by wildcatters and Griffin & Howe had to turn to Winchester to make a run of new brass, headstamped G&H 22-3000. Ironicially, even this new brass quickly disappeared because shooters started using it for wildcats of the 22-3000 wildcat.

Bottom line for collectors - even though the 25-20 SS was a fairly common cartridge in it’s day, the number of surviving cartridges is out of proportion to it’s production numbers.

And that’s everything I know about that.

Ray

I’m not one to pass up an opportunity to show you big kids some Wildcats. Left is the one that started it all, followed by other wildcats and wildcats from wildcats. This doesn’t come close to showing them all.

Enjoy

Ray

Thanks for your input everyone, I knew there would be a simple explanation.

Ray,
what about the first cartridge of your picture?The other ones are modifications of the basic 22 Lovell,I think ,even the last one that seems an Ackley improved design

As a new wildcatter I am interested to this stuff you know : )

Just curious, is there a MEKETA wildcat cartridge of fame?

Pivi

The first cartridge is one of the earliest wildcats known, dating to the late 1800s. It is made from the 25-20 SS case. The designer, Reuben Harwood, was a writer for several of the “shooting” magazines of the time. The cartridge was popularly known as the 22 Harwood Hornet (no relation whatsoever to the later 22 Hornet).

The Lovell cartridges were actually an improvement of the Harwood Hornet. So they are some of the first wildcatted wildcats.

You could say that the Maximum Lovell is an Ackley version but it preceeded Ackley hisself by a few years so it’s not really fair to put his name on it in any way.

Rick

Yes, I have designed a few of my own wildcats, made especially for my long-range Benchrest shooting. But just about every Benchrest shooter worth his salt has done the same thing so it’s not unusual nor or my cartridges well known outside the fraternity. None have my name on them. I am much too humble. ;) ;)

Ray