25-35 Gunbroker auction

I have a question about an auction going on at gunbroker. There are 2 boxes of nice Winchester 25-35 ammo that have very high bids and numerous bids. I am curious what is so unusual about these boxes. In fact looking closely at one bullet photo, it appears to be a reload. What am I missing?

a link to the items in question might be of help?

Remchester

I saw that particular item too. It is simply another case of someone trying to make a killing at the expense of some poor bubba who believes the story. I have noticed more and more of these types of ads since the recent ammo shortage crisis took control of otherwise knowledgeable buyers. And it’s not limited to the big auction sites such as GB. You will find the same type of things on the different shooting forums BST sites.

Things like this used to upset me and I’d contact the seller and give them what for. But, I no longer do that. It’s not worth the aggravation.

Pete - I thought that posting links to auction items was verbotten?

Ray

One of the Super Speed boxes contains W W SUPER headstamped cartridges…In my estimation, the cartridges should be headstamped SUPER SPEED 25-35 WCF or WIN, and are not correct for the box, which is now at $455 and change !!!

Randy

Hi Ray
Wrong to post links to auction sites? Didn’t realize that. Thanks.

Pete

I didn’t mean links to auction sites but to specific items. Maybe one of the moderators can clarify??

Ray

[quote=“30army”]One of the Super Speed boxes contains W W SUPER headstamped cartridges…In my estimation, the cartridges should be headstamped SUPER SPEED 25-35 WCF or WIN, and are not correct for the box, which is now at $455 and change !!!

Randy[/quote]

Randy

All is not well with that carton. The carton colors and wording indicates ca. 1945 - 1953. The headstamp is ca. 1969 and later. There are 11 bids, 9 of which are by one bidder.

Ray

It’s ok to post links to auction sites if it is merely for reference or about a question. If you are the seller, then it should not be posted.

In terms of nefarious / erroneous descriptions, or just inexplicably high bidding on otherwise mundane items - I see this ALL the time on Gunbroker. If it’s an honest listing, then it’s great if you’re a seller, but I feel bad for the buyers. If it’s lying, then I wish Gunbroker would do more to ban those sellers, but they don’t know anything about ammo specifics. The overpaying issue is “perceived relative rarity” by novice buyers. They know they want something, and they can’t find it anywhere, but not being in the IAA, and not being familiar with cartridge shows or other collectors, they only know what they find on Gunbroker since they can’t find it in any shop or retail website, so they bid like mad. They might find an internet search result for some old realized-price from a past live gun auction for a box of ammo and use that as a guideline, but that’s not necessarily indicative of rarity or true worth.

It’s usually impulsive bidding, and they usually don’t search thoroughly enough to find that there is possibly another auction for the same exact thing on Gunbroker selling for much less, albeit listed with different wording in the title. The Gunbroker search engine is notoriously picky and exacting, unlike the Ebay search engine which tries to interpret more.