.25 acp "SOS 6.35"

It was supposedly made in the Austrian town of Lichtenwörth. So what does “SOS” mean? Are these uncommon?

Lichtenwörth

1 Like

Updated my box photos on the linked post.

SOS meaning? Perhaps the obvious Save Our Souls?

1 Like

Let me take a wild guess. Staatisch Österreichish Stahlfabrik?

Yes Vlad, wild guess. Neither Sekt Oder Sonnenschein. One of my sources, White & Munhall states unknown on 6,35 mm. Ian Hogg (very respectable I presume) identifies it as Patronenfabrik Lichtenwörth of Hungary, breaking away from Georg Roth after Hungarian independence in 1920. There is no further comment on what SOS could mean. Let’s call in the other ones…Oh and yes, nice headstamp indeed.

1 Like

Josef Mötz, the authority on Austrian ammunition, writes that the reason for using SOS is unknown. It has no known meaning as an abbreviation.
Considering the dire situation of Patronenfabrik Lichtenwörth, I tend to agree with his speculation that it could be simply an expression of desperation, similarly to what PetedeCoux mentioned.
Giving in to my nitpicking tendencies and considering my father was a Kriegsmarine wireless operator, I cannot help to point out that SOS was selected for standing out from ordinary Morse traffic and, like the Q codes, is a trigraph that has no meaning. “Save our souls” is fiction.

2 Likes

Ian Hogg does not have a great reputation for accuracy in some quarters!

Lew

1 Like

Please let me know if you find a quarter he had some in (I mean ammo).