25 Bacon and Bliss Manufacturer Crittenden & Tibbals?

Am I correct in thinking this one was made by Crittenden & Tibbals with the spun out circle and indented bar? Is it by another manufacturer?

Z3033A

The bullet somehow doesn’t look to be C&T in Barber but Jim Scones notes they are pointed? Jim also notes the segmented crimp on some C&T products

As to the tool-slippage marks I can’t tell.

If you can take measurements:
case length
Over all length
case diameter
rim diameter
and bullet diameter.
I can check my specimens and data base.

This one was a little hard to photograph and the bullet appears a little pointy. I would agree that the nose of the bullet appears to be sharper than the example in Barber’s book. The tooling marks are definitely interesting.

CL .498"
OAL .782"
CD .244"
RD 2.99"

From Barber"s Rimfire book on page 211:
CL or Overall Length for 25 B&B, .447" to .498"
However at the top of the page it reads Noise Blanks Standard (which is confusing?)

From the *ECRA Caliber Data Viewer:
.25 Bacon & Bliss RF Short ( Measurements in mm, I assume)
Bullet Diameter 6.22, Rim Diameter 7.47,
Total cartridge length 20.18, Case length 12, rim thickness 1.06
You can convert to inches at:
https://www.metric-conversions.org/length/millimeters-to-inches.htm

Your head stamp is unknown to me and very interesting. According to the Barber Book
Crittenden & Tibbals did make the 25 Bacon & Bliss, but I did not see any head-stamps in the book like yours…

Also check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.25_Short
although I am not sure who wrote it. looks like from Cartridges of the World.

*F.Y.I., I just got the ECRA Data Base and recommend it to any serious collectors or forensic people.

Hopefully others with more knowledge can add to the tread, not a lot on this caliber.

Dave , an explanation regarding this so-called “headstamp” is that one method of priming was to spin the priming compound into the rim. This was done by using a tool that had sharp raised ‘points’ to grasp the base or rim to spin it. When these ‘tools’ slipped they chattered or just dug a groove, & or in this case really did a job. A certain amount got past quality control and a certain amount was considered acceptable. So what happened with this one is anyone’s guess, but it got loaded. He knew it was a B&B his question was who made it.
here’s another example of tool slippage but on a .50-50-500 FA or Springfield experimental.
61h
Here’s another on a .56-46 “Extra” long Spencer.
56h

1 Like

Thanks Pete, I did not think that it may have been a manufacturing issue.
The deep groves and what looks like a “V” on top made me think it might be an odd head-stamp.
Best
Dave

1 Like