.25acp id?

Gilding metal jacket bullet
green square propellant
Berdan primer
No headstamp
Where is it from?Spain?IMG_20190908_203356

It looks like?

2 Likes

It would be helpful to know if the bullet to a 6.35 mm round in question is magnetic or not, although there are so many unheadstamped 6.35 mm rounds that it will likely be very difficult to pin this one down to a specific manufacturer or even country. We can tell more what it is NOT than we can about what it is.

I do not believe this is the Russian cartridge. The known Russian 6.35 mm with no headstamp (and the Russian 7.65 mm Browning as well) have brass, non-magnetic bullet jackets. The one in Sheng’s excellent photos is clearly as he describes - with a Gilding Metal-jacketed bullet (copper rather than brass).

For those who have investigated pistol-cartridge powders, that may be the best clue. Unfortunately, I never have. I rely on inertia-type bullet pullers, and find 6.35 mms, due to lightweight bullets and often heavy bullet crimps, very difficult to pull bullets from using my bullet pullers.

John Moss

1 Like

Russian 6,35 rounds were made with a wide variety of bullet jacket materials. It was brass, and cupronickel and tompak and nickel-plated brass. There were also various experimental batches, including those with a steel core.
The transition of the manufacturing of most military cartridges to the steel jackets in the USSR took place in 1930.
The release of 6,35 and 7,65 cartridges was started in 1934, at the same factory which produced TT cartridges.
The last batch of ammunition for captured weapons was released in 196s.
The shell material can be any.
A distinctive feature of Russian cartridges, except Berdan’s primer and flute on a bullet, can be a curve groove in the case and a bad setting a bullet, but not always.

1 Like