25mm Revelli-FIAT....What kind of Projectile?

OK, I just picked this up at a show this past weekend from a friend. Didn’t know what it was, but it looked interesting, and I figured for $10 I couldn’t go wrong.

I figured it was Italian from the Roma stamp on the driving band…I figured out after some measurements and research it is a 25.4x87 Revlli-FIAT cartridge, but the projectile is weird.

A few things to ponder…It is a three piece projectile, the top fuze portion, then a small intermediate “plate”, then the main body. You can see the three perfectly equidistant, and perfectly angled holes in the projectile…they angle inwards towards the cavity. These are so perfectly matching and drilled, they had to be done in some sort of jig, so I don;t think they are any kind of demil holes. Also notice that in between each of them ther is another small punch or hole (but they are blind…maybe where the tips of an assembly tool went to tighten the projectile down?) and there is a corresponding, and perfectly lined up holes in the main body.

Also, notice there is some sort of s/n stamped in the fuze section and the main body…the numbers match, but are difficult to read…V847 or V917 perhaps? And there is a vertical punch mark that lines up all three sections. Notice when the projectile is assembled, there is a gap between each section (if you screw the sections tight, nothing lines up) and both gaps appear to be the same size…did some sort of spacer washer go between the sections?

What kind of projectile is this, anyone know? Not much info out there on the 25mm Revelli, at least not on the web…

Also, any information on if these rounds were painted in service, or were they just bare metal…I will eventually clean the rust off, and would like to restore it as much as possible…so if it was painted guidance would be appreciated.

The Revelli was a relatively short lived effort, as when the Fiat company tried to interest the British and French governments in the gun, Vickers objected that it was an infringement of their patents and Fiat decided to stop production.

Only about 200 were built and it was a long recoil weapon with a low muzzle velocity of 1,320 fps. Technically it contravened the St.Petersburg Treaty as it fired an explosive shell of less than 1 lb weight.

I think the shell that you have is an incendiary and the holes in the body are to allow the incendiary filling to escape when the shell strikes. The Italians seem quite fond of this type of design as the later 7.7 (,303) Breda incendiary rounds work in a a not dissimilar way.

Apart from that I can add nothing of any help.

Regards
TonyE

Maybe here you can find the info you are looking for

forum.worldwar.it/Forum/viewtopi … 59&t=11364

Feel free to contact me for any translation help

Excellent link Pivi, many thanks.

Regards
TonyE

Pivi, after seeing those Italian 1 inch Nordenfelt rounds on your link, I still think it is possible that this case that your friend gave you is a 1" Nordenfelt and not a flare.

http://iaaforum.org/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=3267

If I remember right Sweden used Nordenfeld cases for their flare guns and later switched to “proper” straight cal 4 cases.

Yes, Thank You much Pivi!!

Great page on the 25.4…and at least I know my cartridge is correct.

Can you verify that it is an incendiary…I don’t speak a word of Italian (well, ok, a few like ciao, but nothing technical!).

I see there is one post that has this specific projectile, I assume the poster identifies it…

Looks like no paint either. The other thing I notice is no appearance of any sort of spacer…I wonder why mine does not line up properly when tightened…since the fuze and main body have the same #'s, it could be the center section, but when all three hashmarks are lined up, the holes line up perfectly…I’ll have to play with it a bit…

But thanks for the info guys…looks like I lucked into a fairly scarce one!

It looks like you certainly did luck in. I would like to find this round for the equivalent of $10. You can’t even buy lunch out today for that price.

[quote=“Falcon”]Pivi, after seeing those Italian 1 inch Nordenfelt rounds on your link, I still think it is possible that this case that your friend gave you is a 1" Nordenfelt and not a flare.

http://iaaforum.org/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=3267[/quote]

Yes,it is a Nordenfelt case.I post the same question on the worldwar forum and a guy gave me the link that I posted above

[quote=“pzjgr”]Yes, Thank You much Pivi!!

Great page on the 25.4…and at least I know my cartridge is correct.

Can you verify that it is an incendiary…I don’t speak a word of Italian (well, ok, a few like ciao, but nothing technical!).

I see there is one post that has this specific projectile, I assume the poster identifies it…

Looks like no paint either. The other thing I notice is no appearance of any sort of spacer…I wonder why mine does not line up properly when tightened…since the fuze and main body have the same #'s, it could be the center section, but when all three hashmarks are lined up, the holes line up perfectly…I’ll have to play with it a bit…

But thanks for the info guys…looks like I lucked into a fairly scarce one![/quote]

Your round is described on the italian forum as “incendiary”