25mm SCORPION or Self Correcting Projectile, 2007 R&D

Here’s something a little different in the research and development arena of inflight self correcting projectiles.

SCORPION = S elf-Cor recting P rojectile for I nfantry O peratio n

From a 2007 SCORPION technology program overview presentation. Full presentation covering 40mm & 25mm SCORPION experimental projectiles: https://ndiastorage.blob.core.usgovcloudapi.net/ndia/2007/armaments/Plostins.pdf

Below are the pages from the presentation covering the experimental 25mm SCORPION projectile intended for the 25 x 59mmB cartridge used in the 25mm XM307 ACSW (Advanced Crew Served Weapon), which was developed by General Dynamics. Never adopted by the military -

Brian

1 Like

Interesting, Brian, and thanks for posting.

Brian, thanks a lot! Great documents you are digging - as usual!

Awesome material!

I always have to wonder how weapons presentations must go…

“So this thing kills stuff more deader with a 23% increase in deadliness per dollar!”

Brian,

Thank you very much.

I would be grateful if someone could answer the following questions -

1. Where is the warhead?
  2. Is all that effort worth it for a 25mm projectile?

Tim,

Good questions.

There is quite bit of information missing from the 2007 SCORPION presentation including no designated warhead. I think the point of the presentation was more about the development of the onboard electronics to facilitate inflight adjustments to the trajectory of the projectile.

Your 2nd question is, I believe, in part answered by a latter presentation on the SCORPION program dated 2010 ( https://ndiastorage.blob.core.usgovcloudapi.net/ndia/2010/armament/WednesdayCumberlandAndreLovas.pdf ) were the 25mm SCORPION projectile + 25mm XM307 ACSW are no longer mentioned. I suspect this is because there was little interest by the military in the XM307.

A contributing factor for this was probably the 25mm projectile payload which was small when compared to the various 40mm grenade loads and the numerous 40mm grenade launcher systems already in us by militaries around the world. Plus the fact that the 40mm grenade has been in use by the U.S. Military since the early 1960’s, fully entrenched and accepted by the military.

Brian

Wasn’t that a similar reason for moving on to a 20mm as opposed to the .60 MG?

Strelok,

Yes, projectile payload was a major factor in not adopting .60 MGs.

Brian