25mm U.S. DREAM GUN

This story has been making the rounds and I have been asked about it several times. The last I heard this gun was fragile and the system did not work in cold,snow,dust,fog,mist, rain, mud, high humidity.

One tester said that it was a “one drop system”. Drop it once and its done.
Pepper had a nice display of this stuff at St.Louis.

Any current thoughts about the following?

One of the revolutionary bullets which can be pre-programmed to explode to hit troops that are hiding.

No hiding place from new U.S. Army rifles that use radio-controlled smart bullets.
Counter Defilade Target Engagement System has a range of roughly 2,300 feet - and is to be deployed in Afghanistan this month. The rifle’s gun sight uses a laser rangefinder to determine the exact distance to the obstruction, after which the soldier can add or subtract up to 3 meters from that distance to enable the bullets to clear the barrier and explode above or beside the target. Soldiers will be able to use them to target snipers hidden in trenches rather than calling in air strikes. The 25-millimetre round contains a chip that receives a radio signal from the gun sight as to the precise distance to the target. Lt. Col. Christopher Lehner, project manager for the system, described the weapon as a ‘game-changer’ that other nations will try and copy. He expects the Army to buy 12,500 of the XM25 rifles this year. Lehner told Fox News: 'With this weapon system, we take away cover from [enemy targets] forever. 'Tactics are going to have to be rewritten. The only thing we can see [enemies] being able to do is run away.

This rifle means that enemy troops will no longer be safe if they take cover The XM25 appears perfect weapon for street-to-street fighting that troops in Afghanistan have to engage in, with enemy fighters hiding behind walls and only breaking cover to fire occasionally. The weapon’s laser finder would work out how far away the enemy was and then the U.S. soldier would add one meter using a button near the trigger. When fired, the explosive round would carry exactly one meter past the wall and explode with the force of a hand grenade above the Taliban fighter. The army’s project manager for new weapons, Douglas Tamilio, said: ‘This is the first leap-ahead technology for troops that we’ve been able to develop and deploy.’ A patent granted to the bullet’s maker, Alliant Techsystems, reveals that the chip can calculate how far it has travelled. Mr Tamilio said: 'You could shoot a Javelin missile, and it would cost $43,000. These rounds will end up costing $15.50 apiece. They’re relatively cheap. Lehner added: This is a game-changer. The enemy has learned to get cover, for hundreds if not thousands of years. Well, they can’t do that anymore. We’re taking that cover from them and there’s only two outcomes: We’re going to get you behind that cover or force you to flee. The rifle will initially use high-explosive rounds, but its makers say that it might make later use versions with smaller explosive charges that aim to stun rather than kill.
One of the revolutionary bullets which can be pre-programmed to explode to hit troops that are hiding.

" Mr Tamilio said:These rounds will end up costing $15.50 apiece .They’re relatively cheap". CHEAP ??

What does the gun cost ?

DREAM ON !

I don’t doubt that the system works, but I’ll reserved judgment on the XM25 until I start reading independent reports, which won’t be until after it gets into general service.

The biggest threat to the XM25 is probably the fact that airburst rounds using similar technology have now been developed in 40mm LV and MV (as well as crew-served HV), which can also fire cheap dumb rounds plus a variety of other types. The XM25 has a trajectory advantage, but carries significantly less HE.

Working is not the question. The question is how practical the weapons system is in actual tactical service and what it costs.

I’d much rather see (and logistically would be more likely to see) fielding of the cheaper, less-techy and more durable 25mm Barrett Payload Rifle.

Related cartridge and downrange capability (not sure of interchangability between types of ammunition), proven platform, already “soldier-proofed” haha.

The ammo isn’t the same: The Barrett uses 25x59B from the crew-served XM307 (cancelled) and ATK LW25 automatics (which gives it much heavier recoil) while the XM25 uses 25x40B, with lighter grenades.

The Barrett also lacks the timed airburst capability which is the whole reason for the XM25’s existence (and accounts for the high price).

Any ground combat vets want to offer an opinion ?

Thanks for the clarification Tony. I’ve seen demos of the Barrett, but only with the blue dummy rounds. Not as familiar with the XM25, just from the DoD powerpoints, etc.

As I think I have commented about previously, I’ll believe that it is something other than a colossal waste of taxpayer funds when the grunts start asking for it.

Ditto ! Engineers, sales reps and executives should have to spend at least a week in combat with their products before they are adopted .

I remember when my friends in Viet Nam were forced to give up the M14 and carry the plastic rifles. Many of them carried an AK for real use with the plastic one on their back to keep it clean.

Bright side ; it makes ammo collecting more interesting.