25x137 display & Super 40 display

Thank you Pepper for donating it to the IAA auction.

2 Likes

Glad it has a great home. The only item I would chase is the M919 APFSDS dart so it needed a more appreciative owner. Your “stash” from SLICS is impressive. Your collecting passion is encouraging

Those look like the genuine items. Nowadays they make such displays using plastic replicas, as that avoids potential problems with customs when transporting stuff to overseas arms fairs.

Yes sir, all tactical components.

These 120mm M1028 canister rounds confirm your point

The left one is all plastic (not sectioned) and as such doesn’t weight much more than a 2L soda bottle (you can pick it up by it’s “projo” with one hand).

The sectioned version is “two hand heavy” but with many non tactical components. I believe the base and fuze rod and some of the canister parts is “real”

(I can’t find my photos of “Super” 40 display what is all plastic as well)

2 Likes

The canister round payload on the right looks… upsidedown. Usually you put the wad on the bottom to cushion the shot column.

The wad or cushion material ahead of the canister may look odd, but two places that make it both show it that way.

https://aollc.biz/tank.htm

2 Likes

Agree with John

https://www.learnaboutguns.com/2008/08/30/the-ultimate-shotgun-xm1028-120mm-canister-tank-round-video-clip/

FYI; they (GD OTS) prototyped a payload of the tungsten balls mixed in some fashion with 60 gr flechettes (typical size of today’s 2.75" Hydra 70 rocket M255A1 flechette package)

Needless to say the flechettes are gone and the tungsten balls remain

1 Like

This video shows the white stuff coming out in front of the shot column, so yeah, it’s right, just counter intuitive to me.

1 Like

Here’s a couple of pics (taken at the same show some years ago):

S40%20ATK

I think that the GD display is all-plastic, not so sure about the ATK one.

1 Like

Seems they have changed the display base nomenclature

And these these are all some type of composite with the only metal being the screws base:to round

1 Like

hello
on the last picture the casing of the APFSDS-T look little longer than the other ?

I’m not by the collection. Sure does look that way. I’ll inquire

1 Like

The first iteration of the Super 40 had very different case lengths for the HE and APFSDS rounds: the HE had a 165 mm case, the APFSDS a 218 mm. It was found this caused problems in the chamber area, so a common 180 mm length was adopted for all.

Incidentally, while the first iteration had a 40 mm calibre, this was modified in the second by tapering the case a little more to provide better headspacing. The actual calibre is now 39 mm but it is still referred to as 40 mm.

2 Likes