25x181KBB APDS-T (NOW SECTIONED)

I just added this nice, inert 25mm APDS round to my collection. It has a much longer case then the other 25mm rounds I am familiar with. I was told that it was a 25 x 184 KBB?

Jason

Nice one! Only the drill rounds are commonly available in Europe.

The case length has always been quoted as 184mm for some reason, but in practice it seems to be 174mm for the HE rounds, 181mm for the APDS.

The Oerlikon KBB is the only gun to fire this round to see service (Oerlikon did build a 7-barrel KBD rotary but no-one bought it). The gun was only bought by the Turkish Navy, in the four-barrel Sea Zenith CIWS mounting. The ammo is not currently being manufactured (presumably the Turks have enough).

Thanks, Tony!

I should have posted a picture of the head-stamp. It has a notch cut into it. I am guessing it is to de-mil it? There is no primer which I would have loved to have as I could section it.

Jason
PS: I just changed it to 25 x 181 :-)

I can’t find a very clear picture of Sea Zenith on the web, but here’s a picture of one of the Turkish warships and you can see a mounting in B position between the 5 inch gun and the bridge. The pic’s from: defence.pk/forums/military-p … es-38.html

[quote=“APFSDS”]Thanks, Tony!

I should have posted a picture of the head-stamp. It has a notch cut into it. I am guessing it is to de-mil it? There is no primer which I would have loved to have as I could section it.

Jason
PS: I just changed it to 25 x 181 :-)

[/quote]

The notch is usually an indication of a proofing shell. The notch orients the shell properly in the proof fixture.

Thanks, Tony and Dr. Schmitt!

Jason

The case would have had a 14.26 mm diameter screw-in primer. Bill

Bill, would that happen to be the same primer found in the regular size 25MM green cases? The case pictured next to the 25 x 181. Maybe I could swap primers to have a complete, inert round to possibly section?

Jason

Jason, it appears to be the same primer that is used on the 25 X 173 Oerlikon . They are the same diameter and are marked similarly. The 25 X 173 primer is marked “DE-903-86” whereas the 25 X 181 primer is marked “DE-007-86”. The other case you show appears to be a 25 X 137 Bradley which takes a press-in primer. Bill

Thanks again, so much, Bill! The 25MM case I show next to the 25 x 181 happens to have a screw in primer :-)

Jason

Bill, looking at the primer on the 25 Bradley, it reads DE 502-85.

Jason

That is interesting. The two Bradley’s I have are configured with a press-in percussion primer. I suspect the one you have will fit the Oerlikon. Bill

hello
i have a 25x137 made by oerlikon with the same color a the 25x137 above and it have a screw primer
some french 25x137 have screw primer (they use both primers ,screw and press-in)
the other 25x137 which i have have press-in primer (it an m792 from usa)

I just unscrewed the primer on the Bradley 25MM and installed it in the 181 with a perfect fit. Still not sure if I will section it without knowing if this primer at least looks like the correct primer associated with this round, size, shape, profile ect. I would love to see a picture, diagram or sectioned example showing the primer used in the 25 x 181 APDS.

Jason

Just sectioned :-)

The number 274 is hand written on both the inside base of the sabot as well as on the windscreen of the sub-projectle core.

Jason

Very interesting base design.Nice work.

VERY NICE!

Thanks so much! Hard to tell from the pictures, but I polished the cut sections of the case to a mirror finnish :-)

J