.264 usa

Happened upon a notice of solicitation for .264 USA cartridge cases:

fbo.gov/?s=opportunity&mode … e&_cview=1

Anybody have a photo, specs of this cartridge? I couldn’t find anything via Google.

From what I have heard, it is an experimental 6,5 mm cartridge, meant to be used in regular STANAG-4179 magazines (the type used in the M16/M4, HK416, and similar weapons).
I believe it is based on a shortened .35 Remington case, and meant for the Army Marksmanship Unit.
Only what I have heard and read. You can find some forum posts mentioning it if you search for «.264 USA cartridge». Most posts seem to be rumours, so treat them as such.
Would be interesting to hear from a credible source.

• Ole

The .264 USA is one of the intermediate cartridges that will be tested in the current lightweight ammunition program, which also includes 7.62x51, 5.56x45 and a new .277, all using polymer cases. The proposed shooting plataform for those two new calibers is a AR-10 type rifle.

Here is a drawing:

Thanks! Much appreciated.

is this one of the cartridges related to the 6.5 carcano case?

[quote=“tennsats”]From what I have heard, it is an experimental 6,5 mm cartridge, meant to be used in regular STANAG-4179 magazines (the type used in the M16/M4, HK416, and similar weapons).
I believe it is based on a shortened .35 Remington case, and meant for the Army Marksmanship Unit.
Only what I have heard and read. You can find some forum posts mentioning it if you search for «.264 USA cartridge». Most posts seem to be rumours, so treat them as such.
Would be interesting to hear from a credible source.

• Ole[/quote]

from the rumor mill… i heard from someone working on the program that they were working with a shortened 6.5 carcano and had developed a cartridge that functioned in AR 15 type actions but were too long for steel m-4 magazines. The drawing of the cartridge from fede is much longer what was described.

[quote=“duchamp”][

working on the program that they were working with a shortened 6.5 carcano and had developed a cartridge that functioned in AR 15 type actions… [/quote]

That would be the head diameter of the 7.62x39 then, coincidence?

What I read in other forums is that two versions were made using the Carcano case: a short one, to fit the M4/M16; and a long one (as per the drawing), which would require an AR10 or similar action length.

However, I’ve not seen any substantiation that the short version was real.

That would be the head diameter of the 7.62x39 then, coincidence?[/quote]
The practical options are pretty much limited to the head diameters of the 6.8 SPC/.30 Remington, and the 7.62x39/7.62x45/6.5 Carcano.

I’ve heard mention of this cartridge a few times. It’s not clear what it’s meant for. Is this intended for AMU competition use? Some have suggested it will be tested as part of CLAWS and other next generation ammunition programs, but I haven’t seen any citations on that.

Does anyone have more info?

[quote=“stanc”]
However, I’ve not seen any substantiation that the short version was real.[/quote]

6.5 SPC Short. Based on the 6.8x43 Rem case, necked-down and shortened to 40mm to allow the use of bullets with longer ogives, to give a better long-range performance than the 6.8mm can manage. It is virtually identical to Mitch Shoffner’s 6.5x40 project. Case capacity is around 28 grains water, compared with 31.5 grains for the Grendel and c.42 grains for the .264 USA.

Most of the emphasis for use in future infantry rifles seems to be on the .264, with the .277 as an option mostly associated with lead-free bullets.

The latest word from the LSAT team is that having developed plastic-cased telescoped ammo in 5.56mm and 7.62mm they are now focusing on 6.5mm, so possibly the AMU work will feed into that.

Tau: The 123gr load requirements for the .264 USA would definitely meet Major Power Factor requirements under USPSA Multigun rules. The AMU already has competition history with a .30 caliber wildcat based on the 6.5mm Grendel case.

From the link provided by EOD ( viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18304 )-

[quote=“EOD”]I just came across this presentation on perspectives of small arms and small arms ammo at the NDIA conference 2015.
To me it appeared informative. Maybe some of you want to study it too:

dtic.mil/ndia/2015smallarms/17354_Schatz.pdf “Where To Now?” [/quote]

On page 29 of this presentation the .264 is pictured (a portion of the page shown below), including an all brass case cartridge and a brass base/polymer case cartridge:

On page 39 of this presentation is a listing of weight reduction for ammunition with a polymer case vs. brass case ammunition in a “combat load” situation and the .264 polymer case cartridge is one of several cartridges listed.

The same or similar image of the .264 cartridges is briefly mentioned here: thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015 … d-264-usa/

So is there any further information on this cartridge?

Is the polymer case cartridge being produced by MAC, LLC for certain (MAC is discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18213&hilit=MAC )?

If not MAC, LLC then who is producing the polymer case ammunition?

Brian

I haven’t heard anything from MAC LLC for a while, but I note that they have recently shown a part-polymer .338 Lapua Magnum case, with the metal part being aluminium rather than brass. That should achieve a further significant weight reduction.

I think that it is only a matter of time before the part-polymer cases enter service (if it hasn’t happened already - they have been exhaustively tested by the USMC in .50 cal).

The .264 USA is still in the frame as a future general-purpose round AFAIK, but everyone is now awaiting the outcome of the US small arms Caliber Configuration Study, due “some time in 2016”.

Have any examples of this cartridge turned up in private hands?