.270 Win FMJ Spitzer

In my accumulation, I have three rounds of Super-X-headstamped .270 Win. These all have cupro-nickel full jacketed sharp point military style bullets. What would have been the purpose of these .270 FMJ spitzers? I wouldn’t think either hunting or target shooting, and as the .270 was never a military cartridge, also not to meet Hague protocol requirements.

Hi,
The .270 Win. was never a military cartridge but the 6,8x57 and the 6,8x60mm Chines Mauser were. Have it .270 Win. headstamp?
I heard about FMJ .270 bullets from europe.
Martin

Is definitely .270 Win, and appears to be original factory loaded.

Just a WAG, but maybe it was developed for someone to test this calibre in a sniper rifle?

Recall US Military made up some sniper rifles in .270 some years back, perhaps to experiment with, but they would have used FMJ I would think.

One theory that was put forth to me was that “Revenooers” sometimes used various commercial loads specially loaded with FMJ bullets for use in shooting up moonshine stills. I’ve never read anything like that, and personally doubt the story. I know they used dynamite on illicit stills, and that would seem far more effective than shooting them.

No one, including me, seems to really have any idea what these rounds are all about. Have you measured the diameter of the bullets? It would be interesting to see if they are 0.277" correct for the .270 Winchester, or some other similar diameter, but not correct for this caliber. Also, case measurements would be interesting, to see if they are still .270 Winchester dimensions or if they have been altered to something else. With reformed cases, of course, the headstamps become meaningless.

Perhaps that information could be added to this thread. Right now, everything offered is idle speculation. The added information might not help, but it sure couldn’t hurt anything.

I’ll be back home tomorrow night and send pix and dimensions later.

The .270 had a short career in the world of target shooting, Id say late 50s to early 60s but it never amounted to anything long term.

I’m back home now. Below are pictures of the .270 Win Spitzer and its headstamp. As I said earlier, its appearance is that of a factory-loaded round. The bullet diameter at the case mouth is 0.2766"

http://s1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc507/DWalt1/?action=view&current=270Headstamp.jpg

By the time the .270 was a cataloged commercial round the use of cupro-nickel as a jacketing material was pretty much passe in the U.S. It’s hard to figure. Jack

IN Europe, FMJ is mandated in certain ( Northern) countries for the hunting of certain animals, especially for Commercial game meat market and the Skin/Fur market.

Norma made FMJ 270 projectiles in the 50s and 60s…I have about a dozen boxes of Norma, in two weights, 140 grain and 150 grain.The Box labels and styles date from the 50s-60s. ( tall square boxes, and the first rectangular Flat boxes). projectiles are Cu-Ni type ( silvery)

I don’t shoot “sporting” calibres, but have, for many years had the project of Building up a Short Rifle Mauser M1907 action “Chinese” replica, since barrels in about 550-600mm are readily available ( I have several from M17 conversions…plenty of “meat” to turn down to a Mauser Military profile Barrel). I have made the forming dies to make 6,8x57 cases ( 6,8x60 it seems is just a longer necked case), and chambering is simply done by using a 6,5x57 reamer as a “Rougher”, and then opening up the neck with a .270 reamer ( The .270 Shoulder is smaller than the 6,5).

One never knows what can be done with “Odd” projectiles.

The other use would be 6,8x43 Cartridge…if I had the rifle for it.

Regards, Doc AV
AV Ballistics

Presuming this is an original factory load, over what time period was the Super-X .270 headstamp pictured used?

IIRK Dunlap or Hatcher comment something about .270 Win. FMJ ammo.
Martin

We have to remember, or at least be mindful of the interest and excitment caused by the introduction of the .270 Win in the early days. It was literally the hottest news on the block.
So many things would have been considered possible and many avenues explored. The fact that none of them came to much does not negate the interest of the time.
CN bullets seem rather odd today because of the known effects on accuracy for target / sniper use with extented firing and barrel fouling but that is with the benefit of hindsight.

I would say this round is “exploratory” rather than experimental but represents the manufacturers attempts to push the limits and see what sticks.