.270 Winchester projectile question

What function is performed by 3 arrow-blade-like protrusions?

Vlad

That’s a W.R.A. Co. Protected Point Expanding bullet. The lead triangles are part of the design to lock the copper tip in place. They are distorted for some reason. The bullet does not normally look like that. I’d have to inspect it up close to determine why. JOURNAL #445 contained my artricle that described it and other patented bullets.

I think there was a thread recently that discussed this and other bullets. I’ll see if I can find it. I’ll also post a photo of what the bullet is supposed to look like.

Ray

The whole box is like this, the seller had another box identical to the photo, I bought only one.

Can’t find it. Easier just to start fresh.

The WRA Co Protected Point Expanding bullet was an improvement of the Remington Umbrella Point bullet eliminating the weak points of the REM-UMC design. A seperate copper tip is swadged over the exposed lead soft point. Three triangular notches in the tip allow the extruded lead core to lock it in place. There are also three fingers on the base of the tip which are inserted inside the jacket. Early ones used a tinned copper tip while later versions eliminated the plating and had the conventional copper color.

I would say that the box of bullets got wet and the corrosion of the lead core caused it to swell up and extrude through the notches. A great box except for that.

Ray

Vlad

I completely forgot to mention - I doubt if that particular box originally contained the Protected Point Expanding bullets.

Ray

Ray and Vlad…It appears to me that the lead within the bullets has oxidized to the point that the oxidation has expanded the lead locks to where they are protruding beyond the original bullet dimensions…Randy

Yeah Randy. That really speaks well about the design, doesn’t it? Even with all that swelling and extruding, the cap is still in place. The bullet probably will not shoot worth a c#%p though.

The REM-UMC Umbrella Point would sometimes come off in the rifle’s magazine or, worse yet, in the chamber.

Ray

Yes, Ray…The Umbrella Point certainly did not perform as well as expected…it appeared about 1914 and was gone by 1924 or so, replaced by the Bronze Point…and…I have found Winchester Protected Points, in cartridge boxes, where the “point” has separated from the bullet and is lying in the bottom of the box…

Yes, Ray…The Umbrella Point certainly did not perform as well as expected…it appeared about 1914 and was gone by 1924 or so, replaced by the Bronze Point…and…I have found Winchester Protected Points, in cartridge boxes, where the “point” has separated from the bullet and is lying in the bottom of the box…

PS…Ray…I failed to see yesterday that in a post previous to mine, you touched on the fact that the lead has extruded through due to oxidation…Sorry 'bout that !!

PS…Ray…I failed to see yesterday that in a post previous to mine, you touched on the fact that the lead has extruded through due to oxidation…Sorry 'bout that !!