.276 Pedersen

I have 3 .276 Peterson cartridges, each with the h/s of F A 2 9. Two have nickle primers, one has a brass primer that appears to be larger. Any ideas?

Thanks
Steve

Steve - Yep, the 276 Pedersen was made with two different primer sizes, and several different case shapes.

1 Like

Thanks Ray!

If the nickel-looking primers will attract a magnet they’re made of monel. This material was used for some Pedersen primers. Jack

Jack - Are you sure that Monel is magnetic?

Ray

Ray: Apparently all monel isn’t, but I did test–at least I persuade myself I did–my specimen with the nickel-looking primer and the magnet went for it. Apparently some nickel alloys can exhibit this quality and others not so different in composition will not. Jack

My two nickle primers are magnetic also…

Steve

You need to buy , Woodin,Hackley and Scranton Vol 1.

I would love too have that book[s], just have to balance getting cartridges or reference material, you can guess which one wins!

Steve

Buy the books FIRST.

I know, that’s the smart thing to do, but…

Steve

Old tread of some good old boys , now gone . :-(

If needed
https://www.shop.ammo-one1.com/main.sc

What was wrong with Pedersen rifle/ammo design so it never got approved for military contract?

Made no sense to me, maybe politically not correct :-)

1 Like

It was a superior round, however Millions of 30-06 in inventory and the idea of .30cal or it’s not worth anything sunk it.

1 Like

Most likely the reason :-)

No, General Macarthur, as CoGS, nixed the .276 Pedersen,
As 1, there were billions of rounds of M1906 ( actually useless) and M1 (heavy Ball) in sstock
2. It would cause confusion in ammo supply…276 for riflemen,
.30 M1 for BAR and BMGs,
And bolt action M1903 rifles.
3. Macarthur didn’t think the .276 matched the .30, especially if the MGs were all converted…which left the Army Air Corp out on a limb wrt Aircraft MGs…50 cal Airc. guns would only become “de riguer” late in the 30s.
So the few million rounds of .276 made for the early Pederson and Garand trials were stored away, and surplused through the DCM in 1946-47, for shootersto makeup their own bolt action rifles ascustom designs…see
“American Rifleman” magazine 1946-1950s for adverts for ammo and custom rifles and shooters’ reports in that period.
Doc AV.

The number of cal. 30 rounds in stock on 31 Dec 1939 was 588 million. Compare this to the estimated annual capacity of Frankford Arsenal in the same year of 360 million rounds. The stocks were not as big as is often assumed. Production of new cal .30 during WW2 was 25000 million [this could include .30 Carbine, table legend is not clear].
Source: Thomson/Mayo, The Ordnance Department: Procurement and Supply. Chapter on small arms ammunition p. 188ff

The stocks of M1906 ball ammo post 1918 were very sizeable, but deterioration in storage was considerable, with many cartridges showing cracked necks even before 1930. Even so, most of the small arms ammunition fired by the U.S. military services down to the mid 1930s was WW.I produced M1906 ball. Jack

Finally was able to get all 3 volumes.