.276 Pederson Box

Here is one I rescued…

When I got the original box, it was completely unsalvageable…on the back where the missing portions of the label are, on the original box, these sections were completely gone, the top was ripped off, but present, it was pretty much falling apart.

So I cut off the front and rear panels, which I used to correctly trim a donor box (empty) of WWII Winchester ball…I neatly trimmed the top off of the Winchester box, then cut down the sides to match the original Pederson box…

The I put the rounds into the Winchester box (It was missing 1 round, I removed two for display, and left three empty slots), then proceeded to carefully glue on the top.

Meanwhile, I soaked the front and back and top panel of the original box in warm water to remove the original label. After they came loose, I carefully dried them in a layered towel under a heavy book…once dry I carefully glued them to the Winchester box…

So now I have a box of .276 Pederson…I was pretty happy with how it came out…a buddy told me if I take a hair dryer and gently heat the pieces of old tape, I should be able to remove them too…I’ll have to borrow my girlfriends hair dryer and try it…

Nice job.

Hi PZJGR,

here are pictures of two 276 boxes in my collection.
Interesting is that both boxes have the same lot number but the lower one has
gone through the additional lubrication process. (in this case No2).

Maybe somebody can answer the question who they managed to keep these
separate because it is one lot but different processing.

I know there are also boxes with a top lid with Lubricated Process No 1.
If somebody has one for trade. pls drop me a line

thanks
Ren

Dutchman,
It appears the Lubricated Process No 2 label has been applied over the original label. Also, some of the type and layout used on the ‘lubricated’ label differs from the other - look at the size of the line ‘Drawing FB 9892 and PC 50’. Is it possible this lubricating process is something that was done after the cartridges had already been loaded? If so, that would explain how they could be kept separate?

Hi Guy,

well noted and that could also be the answer to the problem.
The label underneath is the same as the one you can see.
same dates, same lot number etc. As you say, the probably did
the lubricating after the finished the cartridges and simply re-labelled the boxes.

all I need now is a lubricated No1 box

thanks
Ren

Rene,
Am I correct in assuming the label underneath is not marked ‘Lubricated’?

According to HWS (History of Modern U.S. Military Small Arms Ammunition-Vol 1), the lubrication of the ammunition was required for the retarded blow-back mechanism of the Pedersen rifle to work properly. Lubricated process No 2 was patented by Pedersen and involved dipping the cartridges in a solution of carbon tetrachloride and bleached ceresin wax. Frankford Arsenal developed a similar process using unbleached ceresin wax, and designated it Lubricated Process No 1.

Here are a couple of boxes with the PD-42 case; this is the case with the small primer. Like the boxes shown above, one of these is marked Lubricated Process No 2. I don’t have a process No 1 box in either the PD42 or the FB-9892 box.

Hi Guy,

thx for sharing that box. Unfortunately I can’t see if the label underneath
is marked or not. The glue still holds after 80 years and I don’t want to
destroy the label. Is your box “over-labelled” ?

Interesting point is that your box is marked: Lubricated No. 2
while mine is marked: lubricated Process No.2

I wonder if both versions exsist for the No. 1 version.

cheers
Ren

Rene,
My lubricated box has only the one label.