.28 wcf?

I was scanning the old threads, and I found mention of a .28 WCF. Specifically, Cartguy had a replica round from South Africa. Pics? Dimensions? Anything from anybody will be appreciated.

Cartguy can answer, but there was an experimental Cal .28 cartridge from the early 1900s made by necking down a Cal .30 Model 1906 case. It was one of several 28 and 30 caliber cartridges tested by Frankford Arsenal, in pursuit of a 1000 yard military round. Some of them were supposedly headstamped WRACO .28 W.C.F. A case so headstamped would be very rare. Ballistically, it would have been the 280 Remington of its day.

Ray

Sorry, I will post pics asap (might be a day or two) and dimensions to.

Zac

These are the measurements off my replica.
Bullet = .288"
Neck = .311"
Shoulder = .434"
Base = .473"
Rim = .466"
Case Length = 2.486"
OAL = 3.405"

Sorry for the long delay.
Zac

Zac

Interesting. Thanks for posting the photo and info.

A couple of questions. (5 actually)

1. Who made it for you?

2. One of a kind?

3. How much? (That’s none of my business so don’t answer unless you want to).

4. Where did you find the specs?

5. Why did you decide to have it made?

Ray

Ray,
#1 I am not the one who had it made. I am assuming it was someone in South Africa as that is where my source was located. But that is just an assumption and you know what that means. Truth is I don’t know who made it.

#2 I am quite sure it is not a one of a kind as it was on a list of items available for sale.

#3 I honestly don’t remember off the top of my head how much I paid for it. I am at work right now.

#4 I don’t know where they got the specs from.

#5 I purchased it because I am a huge fan of the 7mm, and I could not resist.

Zac

Ray

1. Cartridges were made in South Africa by OPM on order from a dealer/collector
  2. They are made in batches of about 40-60 rounds each. Some were sold local, a batch goes to the US and the remainder are shipped to Europe (providing customs let anything go through, but that is a debate for another day)
  3. They sold for about US$15 equivalent here in SA give or take depending on the fluctuating exchange rate of our mickey mouse currency
  4. I assume from drawings, although a specimen might exist here. It is possible
  5. To fill holes in a collection of someone that might never own or even see an original cartridge. There are some others in existence as well that were made as replicas (31-62 WCF, 40 BSA, 303 with WRACO 303 ENGLISH h/s and a few more)

Daan
www.cartridgecollector.net

I hope they are marked in some way?

ALL OF THEM I’VE HANDLED HAVE A SMALL LETTER “R” IMPRESSED IN THE SIDE OF THE CASEWALL NEAR THE CARTRIDGE HEAD. THEY ALSO MADE A BELTED 30-40 KRAG WITH A W.R.A.Co. HEADSTAMP AND ONE HEADSTAMPED “BLAKE”. I HAD A CHANCE ABOUT 6 OR 7 YEARS AGO TO BUY SEVERAL OF THE DIFFERENT CALIBERS BUT ENDED UP BUYING NONE. A HUNDRED YEARS FROM NOW THEY WILL BE A COLLECTORS ITEM - OR - MAYBE NOT!!