.280/30 British Value

The Collector’s Firearms website has a listing available (the only seemingly current one I have been able to find for months of searching) for a .280/30 British cartridge, which is listed at $395 (!).

Is this the normal going rate for these rounds, or is this a rarer variation than what I’m looking for? I was under the impression that the .280/30 wasn’t that uncommon, but perhaps it is?

Judging from their other listings, their info is way off the mark.
I.e. they are selling 5x45x39. Russian. 1-Tracer, 1-Sniper. 2-Rounds. $40.
First, there’s no such thing as a “Sniper 5.45”, and second, there’s no tracer in the associated photo ;)

There are many variations of the .280/30" cartridge but I doubt even the rarest would justify $395!
I’d suggest that here in the UK you would find one of the more common ball loadings for about £5 to £10 - say about $15 max.

I think Max is being too kind…they have fantasy prices listed. If the round in question is the pictured one with a brown tip, it is worth in the $10-15.00 range.

Pricing is a whole area of our subject that never seems to get sufficiently aired. I am often amazed and more often amused at the prices on all manner of collectables, not just ammo. Its a very good topic for discussion if we could keep it ‘on message’ which would be difficult.

Interesting, the web site listed above shows several 7.62 Tokarev, Russian Military, WW2 @ $10 each.

At a local gun show 2 weeks ago I purchased a number of the Soviet 7.62 Tokarev with WW2 headstamps for .50 cents each.

There is nothing wrong with someone running a business and trying to make a profit, but ‘caveat emptor’!

Is the seller really implying that the plastic blank 5,45 is a sniper round?
I don’t know if this can be blamed on ignorance, greed, or both…

With a quick look at say the .25 Bacon & Bliss for $25 that would make a 100 round box worth $2,500.00 Not bad for a 2-300 dollar box.

This guy is so far out of line it’s WAY, WAY, WAY out of line, but if some one pays him the $25 for the single …

by the way, I have this bridge…

Is it in New York? I’ve been looking to buy one of those!

Unfortunately, many collector/dealers price their cartridges:

1. in total ignorance of what they have.
  2. with the belief that since they have the only one they’ve ever seen it must be rare and valuable.
  3. by what they have seen ‘similar’ rounds go for…even though they were very different.
  4. at what they were worth 40 years ago before 20 shiploads of them came into the country, and they have never adjusted their prices to fit the current market.

All,

Thanks for the input. My inner critic was going “that has to be wrong!” but frankly, I’ve not seen very much .280/30 for sale, anywhere. I would like at least one example for my collection, but it’s been a bear finding it online.

I met Randy for over 20 years ago and bought a number of pistols from him, and sold a few to him. He originally dealt only in high quality autopistols and was a real expert. His prices were not cheap but not bad either.

He has branched out into other weapons over the past 10 years and I haven’t been in touch with him during this time. During the time I knew him well, he had zero interest in cartridges.

Most of the guns that he had for sale were on consignment. I suspect he has had some ammo put on consignment along with guns and it is easy to list it on his website. The original owner likely told Randy what he wanted for the cartridge, and Randy added his markup and there is the result.

I have run across a number of gun collectors who want ammunition, mostly boxes as accessories to their guns, and the prices they are willing to pay have about one more zero on the end (ahead of the decimal) than what I would consider a marginally outrageous price.

The truth is cartridges are like any other collectible. The a person is willing to pay depends on how bad they want it.

Almost 40 years ago, person once told me he had located a full 16 round box of German, early WWII, Polte aluminum case 9mm P08 cartridges, and asked me what they were worth. Clearly it was a joke, but I decided to play along. I told him the first two were worth $1000 and told him the names of those who would pay that. The next three were in the $500-$600 range and provided the names. Then there were four or five in the $100-$200 range and the rest would sell for $50-$75. I told him that I was interested in buying the last one along with the box for $50 each. At that time this was probably a valid assessment of the value of this mythical cartridge.

The price depends on what a person (or in an auction, two people) are willing to pay. A few years ago, I’m told a 9mm Borchardt sold in Germany at auction for about $2500. At about the same time one sold in a private sale in Europe for $1000. More recently one sold in US for $600. What is a fair price? All three were fair, it just depends on what the seller is willing to take and what the buyer is willing to pay.

We can discuss this for ever, but for me, the bottom line that a person can ask whatever price they want for an item. It is their property and their decision on what it is worth for them. It is the buyers decision on how bad he wants it.

Cheers,
Lew

He is a nice enough guy - I emailed with him about buying a cartridge - I need it for my collection but it is 10X what it should be.

He wanted $25 shipping - which he says is his cost - for one round - I almost committed, interested to se what kind of shipping and packing for one round cost $25.00

I live in the next state so I will likely meet him at the Reno show - which he suggested.

I hope he correct also this Item;

7,92 German WWII Military. Very Late WWII. No Headstamp. 1-Round. $25. Item: AM-2010.

As far I know it is a Japanese round.

Rgds