.280 British/TADEN m.g

Are there any (preferably closeup) photos of one or more .280 British cartridges in the metallic links for the TADEN machine gun?

I will post a picture of the .280/30 in a Taden link, but I am off to France shortly and will not be back until Monday. I will post it then.

Regards
TonyE

Can we clarify the correct name for this MG, was it TADEN or TARDEN, I have seen both versions in different places. A video clip reputed to be of the TADEN firing showed (not very clearly) that it was being fed by a metallic belt rather than disintegrating links. There was also a TURPIN SFMG X11E4(Sustained Fire Machine Gun) in 7.62mm NATO, circa 1954-58, which used an MG34/42 type belt. I have got just a three link fragment of this belt.

gravelbelly

Dave - are you refering to the video on the Pathe site? That site also shows the EM2 and the .280 Garand and Browning MG.

I will post the picture of what I was told was a Taden link later.
Cheers
Tony

Here are what I believe to be Taden links. I acquired these some years ago from Herb W.

BTW, it seems to be TADEN and not Tarden, so I will correct my previous mis spelling.

Regards
TonyE

Hello,

I don’t think these are the TADEN links.

These links are designated “Type Europe” for 7.62x51 Nato rounds.

They are one of the numerous experiments conducted by Nato in 1959-1960 to design a universal link which would feed all Nato countries machine guns : US M60, German MG3, Belgian/UK MAG, French AA52.

Cheers,

JFL

[quote=“TonyE”]Here are what I believe to be Taden links.

[/quote]
Tony, I appreciate you taking the time to get that photo up. However, side-by-side comparison of that link to the “Type Europe” 7.62x51 link (posted by JFL) shows it to be identical to the latter. I’d think that the head-to-shoulder dimension of the .280/30 case would require a shorter link?

Stan

Now I am no expert but the video’s I have seen of the .280 TADEN MG dont have a disintegrating link when fired the belt stay’s intact ??? & those look like a disintegrating link

Rich.

I think you’re correct on both counts.

youtube.com/watch?v=wtjVf724G7w

The TADEN used a 250-round non desintegrating belt.

Here is a fragment of the TADEN belt as I pictured in Herb Woodend’s collection.

Cheers,

JFL

Thanks for the info JF. I was obviously mistaken so my apologies fro the earlier misinformation. I must have wrongly remembered what Herb told me (age you know!).

Now that you have posted the picture of the correct belt, I remember seeing it in his collection.

Regards
TonyE

[quote=“JFL”]The TADEN used a 250-round non desintegrating belt.

Here is a fragment of the TADEN belt as I pictured in Herb Woodend’s collection.

[img][/quote]
Many thanks for posting that photo.

Stan

details moved to a now topic
http://iaaforum.org/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7474

Hello,

asking for id of these interesting links under the heading of TADEN links is confusing and will make further reference difficult.

I would suggest you create a new thread with the question, … and I will answer :-)

Cheers,

JFL

Anyone got a picture of the Taden weapon to post here? Not familiar with it. Can’t divorce ammunition from the guns that use it.

I agree with the view about posting the other “link question” as a new thread.

John Moss

Thank you. With the bipod and the carrying handle, reminiscent of the Bren Gun, I assume there was some sort of accessory butt stock that could be attached? Or, maybe with the “Spad” grip, it didn’t need one?

John Moss

My understanding is that it is a modified BREN, which would explain the resemblance. Since the TADEN was only a prototype, it may be that they never got around to fitting it with a shoulder stock. Or perhaps due to the tripod mounting, they thought that spade grips were a better choice?

My understanding is the TADEN would of been a replacement for the Vickers, its purpose was substained fire from a fixed position. The Bren Gun would have still been in use side by side with the TADEN, both firing the .280 round along with the EM2. The TADEN is a modified Bren, that way it can utilize the vast mounts of accessories they already had for the Bren.