3" 23 cal Mark 2

Was this naval case 76 x 234 R for the landing gun ?
Or maybe for any other naval gun?
Any information is welcome !

Western

I believe the MK 2 case was used in all of the various 3" 23 Cal guns, everything from submarines to the landing gun.

BTW, that’s an unusual marking on the “anchor”. I don’t think I’ve seen one with the “U S”. Was that added later or is from another country?

Ray

OP 1664 Identification of Ammunition states that teh 3"/23 case Mark 2 was loaded with one of the following projectiles: (a) Common Mark 3 Mod 7; (b) Illuminating Mark 22 Mods 1-5 or Mark 25 Mod 1; or © A.A. Mark 26 Mods 1 or 2.

Details on the various Marks and Mods of guns which used this ammo can be found at the excellent NavWeaps site
http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_3-23_mk13.htm
These include boat, landing and AA guns.

Thanks guys,

Ray, what is exactly unusual on the “anchor” ?

John, shame on me, I have the OP 1664 gues I was to lazy to read.

Anyone who has pictures of the complete cartridges?

Rien

Western

None of the brass US Navy cases that I have, have the “US” along the top part of the anchor.

Ray

Ray

I think this is possible an export case.

This drawing I found in the OP No.4 1943

Western

You are probably correct.

Ray

I have seen the US and anchor inspector marks on lots of USN stuff, either stamped into the metal or as an ink stamped marking on more delicate stuff. Have also seen the anchor alone used quite a bit. No significant difference in meaning as far as I know. (based on USN experience 1964-1992).

Here are a couple of 3"-23 rounds I used to have in my collection. These were assembled as dummy rounds for classroom training and weighed like loaded rounds.

The most interesting feature was the soldered-on brass fuze covers with tear-off strips that concealed the M1907 fuzes. I’ve never seen another early U.S. artillery round that still retained these moisture protective covers. I especially liked the star shell with its original paint and markings. The white star is partially visible in the second photo. Wish I still had them…

John

Maybe it’s an age thing? I looked at 12 different USN brass cases and not one of them had the “US” stamped on the anchor. They varied from a 1 Pdr to a 5". The oldest was dated 1914 and the newest, 1948.

Ray

Super awesome pictures and information. I really like the protective covers over the fuze. I have never seen or heard of that before. Those must be pretty rare shells?

Ordnance

Thanks for those photos. I knew of the fuze covers but had never seen one actually on a fuze. Soldering on a live fuze must have had a moderate to high pucker factor. :)

Ray

I like that Ray! I would not want that job.

Ordnance,

Thank you for sharing this pictures.
From : Fuzes for mountain, field, siege, and seacoast projectiles.
The fuze is provided with a waterproof hood of thin brass, hermetically sealed. The hood should be stripped off before an attempt is made to set the fuze.