3.7 Dummy Ammunition

I have come across a training round marked 3.7 on the metal container; it is dated 1942 and has Cdn ordnance markings; shell is wooden; complete kit weighs about 70 lbs (or more).
Can anyone tell me what this would have been used for; i.e. a naval gun, anti-aircraft.
Also, I am wondering what the current market value for such a piece is worth.

Any chance of you posting a photo of it Gary? Most of us use Photobucket.com to upload pics. If you have a photo it be appreciated. Their are some serious GURUS here that can probably ID your item just from your description, but pics really help. Plus i’m currious :=)!

Jason

My guess from the limited info is its for the British (therefor also Canadian) 3.7" Quick Firing AA Gun, which was one of the main heavy AA guns for the commonwealth.

Never seen one myself, but since I am in the states probably not surprising, we seem to get relatively little Commonwealth big ordnance…

Can’t say much about the value, but I know the US 3" Navy Dummies won’t go for nearly what an actual round would go for, at least those I have seen…

Still sounds like a neat piece!

Agree with Pzjgr, almost certainly the drill round for the 3.7" AA gun. I had one of these myself years ago.

The gun had a secondary role as an anti-tank gun and an AP round was available for it.

Regards
TonyE

[quote=“APFSDS”]Any chance of you posting a photo of it Gary? Most of us use Photobucket.com to upload pics. If you have a photo it be appreciated. Their are some serious GURUS here that can probably ID your item just from your description, but pics really help. Plus i’m currious :=)!

Jason[/quote]

Good day Jason,
For all those members who so kindly replied, I will post some images of the complete unit; this might take a couple of weeks but it will give all of the details. Till then.

Great, Gary! Look forward to it.

Jason