3 inch 50 caliber

I know it is not a normal gun, But i need help… I have a 3 inch 50 caliber dummy round that I am refinishing or trying to anyway… I am doing it for a vet i work with who used to man the 3 inch 50 caliber on a navy ship… I need info on said round, pics, parts, where to find stuff for said round, or where to find a real round that is no longer able to fire…

Please Advise

Cpl. Barnhart
USMC

Do you mean a 3,5 inch caliber round or a 50 caliber cartridge 3 inch long?

I mean like the 3"/50 caliber gun on a battle ship… The 3"/50 caliber gun (spoken “three-inch-fifty-caliber”) in United States naval gun terminology indicates the gun fired a projectile 3 inches (7.62cm) in diameter, and the barrel was 50 calibers long (barrel length is 3" x 50 = 150" or 3.81 meters).

wapedia.mobi/en/3%22/50_caliber_gun

Is it the wooden one, with a metal base?

Cpl

Can I assume you are talking about a cartridge for the post-WW II 3"/50 Rapid Fire?

Next, are you asking about restoring the projectile, which would include painting, etc?

Finally, do you want to restore it to authentic condition or simply something that “looks” good as a display?

A photograph of the pieces that you now have in hand would help.

Ray

s975.photobucket.com/albums/ae23 … nt=013.jpg

hope the link works i am new at this

Here ya go Corporal

[/img]

Mine’s all wood with metal base and 3" band at base of the “fuse”, so no help there.

Free advice: A nice minwax stain and sealer on the wood. Paint the steel projectile black. POLISH THAT BRASS MARINE!!! Put a bow on it.

The wood “case” on these was originally stained sort of an oak or maple color and given a coat of shellac or varnish.

For display purposes I would stain the wood and do any cleaning on the metal (looks pretty good already) then spray everything with some clear lacquer.

Another option would be to paint the whole “case” area with brass or gold colored paint and then paint the projectile up OD color with suitable markings to imitate a live round.

For info, these dummy round were used for “loading machine drill” where a dummy gun with a suitable breech mechanism was used so that the gun crew could “load” the round into the breech, and then the loading machine would cycle and eject the “fired” round, and the crew would load another.

I am not going to ask how you got that picture to show up!!! Thank You for the help… I did polish the brass but it has been some time and the wife keeps moving it around, you know women cant touch the wood, have to grab the pretty stuff…

I agree with you, but i want to get it as close to orginal as I can… Also the screws that hold it together are broke or bent or just plain worn out, trying to find a replacement for them…

JOHN !!! Might as well put lipstick on it too. ;) ;) ;)

Cpl - Polish the metal, stain the wood a light oak or maple with a good coat of varnish (wood only).

Ray

Here’s the yellow/oak color John S was referencing. And an OD projectile, for the color in it.

Lipstick. Hadn’t thought of that. But I was a GMM, not a GMG. We didn’t DO lipstick.

Thank You guys for all your help so far… I would really like to see if anyone has the same thing I do, and what it looks like if they do… I would love to have one like slick rick has the one that looks real that is… But like i said I am just trying to redo it for the vet that i work with who served on a navy ship as a gunner on one of these things… Besides the wife has given me the basement of the house, so not much room for a ordnance collection…

Again you guys are awsome, looking forward to more info Thanks

And here’s the Rating “logo”. IF he was a Gunners Mate. Might be cool to make a stencil and apply somewhere on it.

That other round, the “real” one, is a 57MM. Some outfit called the ARMY made use of it. Not worthy in this sense.

As for original, they weren’t near as fancy as you’d think. Especially after a few rounds of trainees got through with them. Slick it up. Original would suck.

On another note, for the wood finishing. You can use a damp towel/washcloth and an iron to “raise” the divots in the wood. Put the rag on the wood and hold the iron on it for a bit. You’ll find out how long it’ll take to raise it. Will pull 'em right out if they’re not crushed. Then sand it again and you’ll be good to go.

This is like talking to the gods… You guys are great…

No, not gods. We’re just old and bored and love it when guys like you post questions we can actually answer.

I have the iron out right now, I am in the process of pulling out those dents… So far about 50% done… Who would have thought of that???

You are required to post an “AFTER” pic, by the way.

That iron/towel system is an old gunsmith trick.