3 x 303 questions

Greetings, I have 3 rounds I would appreciate more info on please

1. headstamp F N 50 this is a tin plated drill-dummy/ inspectors ? round ,cn .bullet ,struck primer , was this a genuine Belgium Mark, used by them,or made for someone else ?

2. headstamp F N 52 , could be short range ? brass case and primer with purple seal, short white ,round nose, plastic ? , bullet , segmented neck crimp , factory military, or commercial ?

3. headstamp K 40 V11 a Red wood bulleted Drill round looks like a converted ball round with 3 tapering flutes , wood spacer no primer ,all quite common so far, but this round has the bottom 1/3 rd of the case to the rim stained Black , this may be a foriegn contract, if so for whom ? thanks Randy

Randy,
Your .303 no.2 is an ‘M67 Sec Plastic’. This was a military/police riot load.
Jim

I believe your first round is a regular Belgian military dummy/drill round. The Belgians had large numbers of No.4 rifles in service post war.

The second is as Jim says and the third is a Drill D Mark VIII. Is the case chemically stained? As these drill rounds were made from reject ball cases the obvious thought is that the original case was a match round, which are stained in this way. The counter argument is that it seems unlikely that Kynoch were still making match ammo in 1940. One other possibility is that I have a similar round that has been through chargers so many times that the botttom part of the case is so scratched and darkened to give the appearance of staining.

A picture would be useful.

Regards
TonyE

Hi Jim and Tony, thanks for the replies , yes the case is chemically stained and appears to be in unused condition, thanks Randy

The “FN 50” is Normal “Export” production by FN (sold widely in the post war period…1948 to Holland for East Indies Revolt use, 1948-50 to Italy, with its British supplied Brens and No4s/SMLEs; Israel from 1948 onwards, Belgium’s own army, with P14, Lee Enfields, etc (packets (15 rds) are marked in French and Flemish “For Bren Gun” ( pour FM Bren).

Still shows up in Mixed Milsurp ammo from the Middle East and Africa.
Last lots made under the “FNB” headstamp of the 1980s (Irish Republic Contract)

Very good ammo for target shooters, Berdan corrosive primers (.217–5,5mm); Powder of Bofors flake type usually, and Bullet 174-5 grain, flat base initially in the 1940s and 50s, then Boat tailed in the 1960s (“mark 8” type).

regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

About the second round I think Jim confused the official name with a 7.62x51 training round where M67 stand for. On a box .303 I have is M 63 printed.
complete label (stamp)
.303 SEC PLASTIC

M  63

lot 1 ASM 65 Hst “F N 52”

As DocAV said “common export production” for the dummy round, I think it was in Belgium not in use, They used a dummy wiith a red coloured wooden bullet ellongated till the primer pocked for support, brass case 3 flutes in case no hst. I know you say Gr.-Brittain once. But it were these they came in bandoliers in large quantity on meetings and a retired policemen confirmed that they used these dummy’s for training. wishes, Jan