.30-06 AP M2 CHECK AMMUNITION Box LCOP

About 5 years ago I picked up two boxes of .30 AP M2 CHECK AMMUNITION LCOP, they were being sold as common shooting material. One was sealed, while the other had part of the box end missing.

These basic labels were made on a mimeograph machine. The “CHECK AMMUNITION” is across the top of the box. Note how they smeared over the velocity and pressure measurements and hand stamped new values (2711 ft./sec. & 48867 lb./ sq. in.).

Headstamp is L C 4. LCOP = Lake City Ordnance Plant.

%20AP%20M2%20CHECK%20Box%20LCOP%20HS

Very nice box. I have never seen that one before. Thanks for sharing

René

Rene,

Thanks for you response.

According to History of Modern U.S. Military Ammunition, Vol. 2; during WW2 “Check Ammunition”, also called “Standard Ammunition” early in the war, consisted of small lots of ammunition carefully loaded as close as possible to standard velocity and pressure. It was intended to be used in test ranges for checking instrumentation, range facilities, in house weapons and as a reference load for comparison firings. Check Ammunition lots were produced in .45 ACP, .30 Carbine, .30 Cal. and .50 BMG.

Brian

Great carton and cartridges. Check, Standard, and Calibration cartons usually had their own printed labels. This is the first I’ve seen that was mimeographed. I’ll bet that many of the younger members do not know what a mimeograph machine was. ;-)
Ray

The process looks a lot like those hectograph sheets our third grade teacher used to pass out in class. Those were the days. Jack

Ahh, mimeographing… Remember clearly going to the elementary school office to help the teach mimeograph sheets for class. The ink smelled great and I wanted to do it all day. Memories… Thanks, Bruce.