.30-06 API Can Got Opened!

Finally!
thecmp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24519
Seems to be the real deal.

Jon - I don’t know why anyone would question that it is genuine. Everything looks fine. I don’t recall ever seeing any Incendiary packed on Garand clips when I was in the Army, but that means nothing, since I was a peacetime soldier. Also, it might have gone to the Coast Guard to shoot at small boats, or even the Navy or Marines. The packaging as pictured on that other Forum I would say is unquestionably genuine.

John Moss

Since when does the CG shoot at the Navy and Marines???;)

Professor Cohen - that’s the kind of grammar you get out of me after I have spent the day typing endless lists of Yugoslav headstamps. stared at glow-in-the-dark bullets, and contemplated becoming “green gunk” some day. Besides, I’ve been in bars where if they had guns, the CG guys might have shot at the Swab-jockies and the Jarheads.

You know, anyone who wasn’t a cartridge collector wouldn’t even believe some of this stuff if you told them about it. Isn’t it grand?!

Now that I have offended everyone’s sensibilities, including even my own, I will go to bed.

:-)

John Moss

I look forward to seeing what those cartridges go for at sale, probably on Gunbroker or Auctionarms I assume? If he lists them right with just the right keywords in the title he can do well. The only problem I foresee is that the Gunbroker listings of late have been diluted with a wash of phony .30 cal API listings in terms of bullets and cartridges because a few sellers have made a business out of resizing (or not resizing? - scary) & repainting Russian API bullets and passing them off as .308 / 30-06 API. If he includes the photos of the original can in the auction it will do wonders. That being said, 3 years ago I bought a full box of 100 FN API 30-06 cartridges for $60.00 on GB because the seller did a relatively poor job of listing it, I actually expected to lose the auction. “Market values” are so subjective.

‘Swab-Jockies’…That is one not heard very often this day and age!

Glad to see this mystery finally resolved. Very interesting and unique item.

Swab-jockey. I try to use this phrase at least once a week whenever possible… I work with several ex-navy types and the guy who runs the dining area at the Legion is a retired Chief…

AKMS

There was a lot of controversy surrounding the half dozen or so cans that showed up, mainly due to the recent rash of reloading fakery going on. The gentleman who did open his can implied that he would be selling some on the CMP site.

John, sorry, but school has just started and I’m getting back into proof-reading teacher mode again. I did get a good chuckle when I first read your posting.

Jon,

Thank you for posting that link. A very interesting olive drab time capsule there! While marked “M14”, would those more likely be M14A1 API or was M14 still being loaded in 1953?

Thanks,
Dave

No such thing. You’re either Navy, or you’re not. ;)

And, what is a Navy type?

Ray

[quote=“RayMeketa”]
And, what is a Navy type?

Ray[/quote]

I think the Village People defined that. Over here the Royal Marines are classed as sailors rather than soldiers and my lot (Paras) never cease to sing the song to taunt them. Having said that with the passing of time I have to concede that the RM “Craphats” are a better fighting force all things being equal. Its tribal.

I always assumed that it pretty much went like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6EOtuhOZWM

(hey is that John Moss and Bill Wooden in the last few seconds!?)

DK

Watching that video made me consider doing bad things to my DD214.

And why do they always have to throw the sheep thing in there? It’s GOATS! Right, Ray?

In New Zealand we have a name for people who have a “special” liking for farmyard animals.
Over here we call them … AUSTRALIANS.

Sorry guys I realise its a bit off topic but I couldnt help it :) lol

craigt

CRACKED ME UP!

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Getting back on topic, does anyone know why these cans would have been made like this with the en bloc clips? Who would these be for, snipers doing anti-materiel work? Would they have been for a specific mission or campaign?

DK

This started back in June I believe, when the cans were first discussed on another Forum that jonny, Leid, and I visit. I posted a photo of one of the sealed cans along with a photo of some loose enbloc clips of API on this Forum and asked if anyone could confirm their authenticity and, more importantly, their purpose. No one could come up with an answer. One guy (not here) told me they were for “accurate destructive downrange fire from an M1D/C or MC1952.” Sounds good but is it real or just something he made up?

The loose enbloc clips could have been made up by anyone owning a couple of boxes of M14, but the canned bandos and clips appear to be original. I was hoping there were data cards or something else inside the cans that would give more information but it doesn’t appear that there was.

So, their purpose has yet to be authenticated AFAIK.

As an aside, my photo of the loose enbloc clips of M14 also showed an empty bando for clips of M25 Tracer, and I wonder what their purpose would have been, assuming they are authentic. That hasn’t been answered either.

Ray

As a guess, let me suggest that the Ordnance Department may have just assumed that since they packed virtually every other type of .30-06 ammo in 8 round clips [although I don’t recall seeing any incendiary or frangible in factory loaded 8 round clips] there might be a demand for API packed that way, anticipating some unspecified future use for it.

Most military ammo is packed up and shipped to distribution points for storage until needed, probably several years in the future. It is hard to predict what specific requirements might exist then.

This could have been an “end of the year” type decision where they had planned to load xxxxxx rounds of all types in 8 round clips, yyyyy in belts/links, and zzzzz in cartons with only a week or two left to do it. If there was a backlog of some sort or equipment problems in one of the loading/packing lines, they may have decided to shift to an alternate pack or type of ammo to meet year end quotas, or simply pack it up any way that was convenient at the time to use up materials on hand.

Or, there may have been some infantry general with a crazy idea that infantrymen with API for their Garand rifles could do some specific missions, and he had enough pull with other generals to get the Ordnance Department to pack some up that way---- and got transferred before his crazy idea could be tested, leaving this lot to sit in storage for decades since no one else had it on their authorization to request any, or knew it was available, or even cared.

In other words, there is not always a “logical” explanation for why government agencies do things that we can understand now, even thought the decision may have made perfectly good sense at the time.

Still, it would be great to know the answer. Perhaps Hackley, Woodin & Scranton volume III will unlock the secret…

The only thing that made a tiny bell ring in the back of my head was the typography of the rubber stamped text on the can, and that was because I have not seen exactly that kind of “font” before. Fonts used on ammo cans (spam and otherwise) tend to be very narrow and fairly thick in order to be read at a distance and be able to be printed on a limited space. The yellow colour and the degree of sloppiness in the printing seems all right though.
Soren (sunday evening ramblings…)